Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: Recording Heavy Metal Guitars?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    The db measurement at the mics location is a valid tool.

So you can replicate that clips DSL sound with your SM57 using those settings? Around 6min in..The video is not fizzy at all.

Thanks
    A valid tool to tell the volume in the room, yes? Quite agree. as for 6mins in?? You only listened for five - I got not further but I never said I can do ANYTHING with my 57 in these corcumstances. I didn't say fizzy either. Where do you dream up unasked questions and statements? My only point is that I do not have magic ears. I can just hear tonal differences. Nothing whatsoever special or mouthdropping. If I move a mic on a cabinet and make the sound different in a way that is positive, to me, thats just like a gentle EQ tweak, or the difference new strings make sometimes, but not always. The room volume in dB wouldn't help me assess very much at all - just volume. A measurement with little purpose. Sometimes, you just want two guitars that sound different. Plenty of ways to do it, and everyone has favourites

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob aylestone View Post
    The room volume in dB wouldn't help me assess very much at all - just volume. A measurement with little purpose.
    Perhaps you are line in direct.

If someone wanted to duplicate the videos sound it would be essential information. In duplication you wouldnt best guess, but instead use a tool measure and copy. Specially if you claim variance DSL to DSL.

If they measure the point of the SM57 mic at suppose 88 db, Then you could use those DSL settings turn it up to 88 db and hit record. It should sound pretty close. Its better starting point than licking your thumb.

Looking around trying to find what equipment was used on the Piece of Mind album. I cannot find a picture of them in the studio. Should be easy to find with Bruce Dickinson.

SEventh son had claimed fizzy in some earlier post. Not from nowhere.

Then I had asked about the mic signal chain , if it stays +4. This is important for this type of issue.

If you go -10 to +4 the audio will get hissy. If you try and go +4 to -10 the audio will sound distorted.
    Last edited by LazerBeakShiek; 3 Days Ago at 13:32.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LazerBeakShiek View Post
    The db measurement at the mics location is a valid tool.

So you can replicate that clips DSL sound with your SM57 using those settings? Around 6min in..The video is not fizzy at all.
    It's interesting that you do not find the video fizzy around the 6:00 minute mark. Compared to the JVM-1 clip I posted in the same post on the previous page, I think both the DSL in the second video have inherently too much bass and high end, and not enough midrange. I will definitely try to replicate the video. I am positive that it will be easy to do. Will let you know soon how it turned out.

Thanks
    Yeah, the player, guitar, and pickups are different. Do the best you can with what you got.

Thread Information