recording guitar thru Boss GT6 into soundcard

groovejunkie

hi guys, actually, my problem is that when I record my guit it sounds kinda midish and washy when I'm using the presets of the GT6 - and not clear and fat; I don'T know what I do wrong..?

I record like this:
Ibanez RG -> GT6(digital out) -> Terratec DMX 6Fire 24/96 (digital in) -> cubase sx

thx&cheers

ry micing an amp with a 57. Alot of times, even a realy good pedal board can sound like shit if your just runing it direct. Plug it up to a good amp and place the 57 in the middle or close to the edge and run the 57 through a pre-amp or mixer, and then go into the sound card.

Peace.

Z

if you arent happy with the tone of the presets, dont use them......tweak those babies........

groovejunkie said:
hi guys, actually, my problem is that when I record my guit it sounds kinda midish and washy when I'm using the presets of the GT6 - and not clear and fat; I don'T know what I do wrong..?

I record like this:
Ibanez RG -> GT6(digital out) -> Terratec DMX 6Fire 24/96 (digital in) -> cubase sx

thx&cheers

Hi

I have a Yamaha DG stomp and maybe your device has the same feature as mine. Are you sure your input mode is set to "low" ? My device has two modes for the input; "low" for when the signal comes from the guitar and "high" for when the signal comes from a mixer or a keyboard.

/Jack Real

Last edited:
question about digital out cables

I am having a problem with my GT-6's Direct out. Actually its probably my fault because I don't know what cable you are suppossed to use.
To connect the Direct out to an RME 96/52 Sp/Dif do I have to buy a special cable? Right now only the right channel comes through when I use the cable I have. And the left channel just has really loud clicks. So in my software I just make it mono and recorded it like that. Anybody know what's going on? I'm guessing you have to get digital RCA cable. Is that the case?

I have a GT6 which i bought for using on stage for a couple of songs where i swap instruments with the guitarist but have never actually got round to usng it. I have just stuck with my pedals (a boss Turbo distortion, and a Boss Acoustic Simulator). Though I thiunk the GT6 has a lot to offer you really do need to put in the time to develop your own sounds as the presets are not to my taste, plus, like all Multi FX units it is a bit noisy for recording. So as Gidge said, get tweaking!

I don't think the cable has to be a special one. Before I sold my GT6 I used a standard RCA cable, that I borrowed from my hi-fi. The thing about the sound issue is that you have to press the "Output Select" button (I think it's named like that) and then select the "P.A. / Studio" setting (again, can't remember the exact name). This output option works on the SPDIF out as well, and makes the unit sound a lot better, than the other options available.
Although the manual states your presets will sound the same, whether you plug into a PA or in front of an amp, using the corresponding output-setting is not true. You still need to tweak (and tweak and tweak...) your GT6 to get it sounding right. ...but I found that using the GT6 directly to the PA with the right setting, it sounded the best (for my style, Metal)... but in the end, I sold it because I got myself a POD2, and it just sounds sooooo much better, in my oppinion.

Dime...

I bought the GT6 with grand ideals but to be honest I have hardly used it. If i was a serious guitarist (as opposed to a bassist that plays at guitar) then I would probably have spent more time getting to know the thing inside out and developing my own tone.

I am currently considering very seriously buying a Bass POD, I have never tried one, and don't know anyone who owns one but having done some mega overtime recently I am feeling a bit flush! I'm just worried that within a month it will be in the same dark corner as the GT6!

Dimebag said:
I don't think the cable has to be a special one. Before I sold my GT6 I used a standard RCA cable, that I borrowed from my hi-fi. The thing about the sound issue is that you have to press the "Output Select" button (I think it's named like that) and then select the "P.A. / Studio" setting (again, can't remember the exact name). This output option works on the SPDIF out as well, and makes the unit sound a lot better, than the other options available.
Although the manual states your presets will sound the same, whether you plug into a PA or in front of an amp, using the corresponding output-setting is not true. You still need to tweak (and tweak and tweak...) your GT6 to get it sounding right. ...but I found that using the GT6 directly to the PA with the right setting, it sounded the best (for my style, Metal)... but in the end, I sold it because I got myself a POD2, and it just sounds sooooo much better, in my oppinion.

Dime...

Thanks Dime, but I checked it out with a few cables and one channel just wasn't working and all you could hear are clicks. So I went to Guitar Center and asked a guy and he was clueless and had no idea what I was talking about. Didn't know what SPdif was. Probably didn't know what a GT-6 was. After walking around the cables a few times, I saw a DIGITAL RCA cable. Thought, why not? Looked nicer.. ha ha... instead of my cheesy red and white ones... Brought it home. Worked great. Guess it was the cable after all. You probably had a better cable than me. I was just using the crappy ones that you use to connect your VCR to your TV.
Anyway, it works and I am happy with the sound.

Glad you got it working....
...but honestly, I used the same cable back then... One of those cheap ones, that came with my VCR... and it worked out OK... Weird...

You know what?
Now that I think about it... I didn't actually use the cable to record or play anything yet. I just plugged it in and looked at the meters on the software to see if it was behaving properly. It looked good so I didn't even plug in the headphones or speakers or anything since I was in a hurry. Hmmm... now you got me thinking. Maybe that wasn't my problem. I'll double check tonight and let you know.
Maybe I proclaimed victory a little prematurely. Although with the other cable there was a clear distinct difference in the behavior of the meters... I should have plugged in the headphones just to make sure.
Dammit.

hey guys, thanks for your answers!

first, I have to thank Dimebag, cos the output wasn't set to "P.A. / Studio" and that's why it sounded bad with the most presets(even if the org presets aren't really good) - so, after searching a while I found a software to load presets+the presets of very known artists --- and 'voila' , some of them are really GREAT!!
anyway, if one of you wanna have the links to the presets or to the SW, you can send me a mail..

about the digital cable I use - well I don't know if it's a special one, I just went to the music-shop and asked for one who can connect my GT6 with my soundcard - that's all.

so, again, thx!

OK...
So the new digital cable does not work.....
Any ideas? Here's the situation...
I connect the digital out to my spdif in on my hammerfall card (via breakout cable). If I use only the right channel it works great. IF I use the it in stereo the left channel is just noise and the right channel is still ok. Is this a GT-6 issue or sound card issue? This is only device I have with digital out so I don't know how to check it.

I guess it wasn't the cable... now I'm worried that my GT-6 might be broken.

Back