Recording a Grand Piano and a Vocalist

SAM CA

Next week I might record a due vocal/piano in real time. It's going to be a YouTube video, so I need to take the video shots into consideration as well. I have a pair of KM184 for the Piano which I've tried many times before, so I'm familiar with their sound. I also have an AKG414 that I've used with many vocalists in the past. The only thing is, I've never used all 3 mics with a vocalists and pianist in the same 'relatively' small room. Any tips?

Position the vocalist so that they are side on to the piano not facing the piano but so they have one ear towards the piano, standing at the keyboard end of the piano. Then use the 414 in figure 8 mode, and the mic with the vocalist standing at the side of the piano should mean the side of the mic is facing the piano. Another approach would be to use one of the mic shield things around the vocal mic but I personally don't like then much as its like singing into a foam wall.

This will give a good cancellation of the piano in the vocal mic. If you are reasonably close micing the piano the vocal spill in the piano should be quite low.

This all depends on how small this room actually is, but I have done the figure 8 set up in a lounge room with grand piano and vocals and it worked out quite well.

Alan.

Alan, that's actually a really good tip! Thanks a lot. Did you happen to have any video recording of any of those sessions? or know of such video?

Yes, I will be close-miking the piano for sure.

Sorry, I always forget to take photos, too caught up in the recording, the only photos I get are from the client if they take any LOL

Alan.

Are the pianist and vocalist different people, then?

In that case, to build on what witzendoz was saying, if you position the camera to the right of the pianist, you can position the vocalist behind the pianist facing the camera to get the setup W described as well as a very coherent primary camera angle.

Are the pianist and vocalist different people, then?

In that case, to build on what witzendoz was saying, if you position the camera to the right of the pianist, you can position the vocalist behind the pianist facing the camera to get the setup W described as well as a very coherent primary camera angle.

Damn, I forgot to mention that! Yes, they're two different people. I would've loved to record them separately, but the piano part is an improv type of accompaniment. It would be impossible to have him recreate the same performance for the video.

Obviously the room itself and logistics of the piano will be a deciding factor as well, but I'll try your suggestions and then take it from there. It'd be nice if I can minimize the bleed.

Back