Really good USB headphone/mic combo?

Chris McDaniel

Does anyone know of a high quality USB headphone/mic combo? I’ve got an Audio Technica BPHS1 and its microphone is almost as good as my condenser mics, it sounds great. But, I’m looking into a smaller solution for a highly mobile podcast rig and I’m thinking about the possibility of plugging multiple USB headphone/mic’s into 1 laptop thru an ‘aggregate device’ with no other gear required. I’ve been trying to research if there’s anything equivalent to the BPHS1 with USB, but all the reviews I can find are about gaming headsets that focus on the headphone quality and don’t really touch on the mic quality. I even went so far as to order a cheap-ish USB headphone/mic that got good reviews specifically for its mic quality, but it’s actually kinda terrible to my ears. Broadcast quality USB condenser mics seem to be all the rage in podcasting, so I wonder if anybody’s started making broadcast quality USB headphone/mics?
So what’s the deal? Anybody ever tried a multiple USB headphone/mic laptop rig? Does it even sound feasible? I’m familiar with creating ‘aggregate devices’ so I don’t see why it technically wouldn’t be, but is there anything else I might be overlooking? And most importantly, does anybody have personal experience with an above average USB headpone/mic?

I don't know of any. It might be worth looking into lavalier mic's though. They are close enough to your mouth/voicebox that they don't pick up much extraneous sound from the room. Paired with a good set of headphones, that may be the way to go.

As luck would have it Chris there is a review in the current, December issue of Sound on Sound of the Rode NT-USB and it reads as tho' it is probably one of the best versions of the type yet produced.

The mic is quiet and adequately sensitive and the headphone output clear and strong. At £149 it is about the same price as a conventional side address XLR capacitor microphone.

Dave.

Back