View Poll Results: Procaster or AT2035

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • R0de Procaster

1 100.00%
  • Audio Technica 2035

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Which Mic and USB Audio Interface for game streaming?

Thanks

Question Which Mic and USB Audio Interface for game streaming?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Oh man,

Hi everyone this is my first post so be gentle, I have been looking to get into some game streaming over on Twitch.tv. After many hours I am no closer to knowing what to buy. I am also new to anything above USB mics audio wise.

As my room is not treated and there can be road noise as well as chair, keyboard and mouse clicking. Let me start with rejected setup;

R0de Procaster > Behringer X1204USB 251

Looking online the beyringer does not get great reviews so I ruled it out.

R0de Procaster > Focusrite 2I2 215

R0de twitter put me onto Focusrite, Focusrite then suggested the 2I2, however looking online people say it doesn't have enough gain and you need a good 56db for the procaster. I don't however due to cost reasons want to buy a Cloudlifter or similar as it seems to be getting overly complicated and expensive. The last thing I want however is low levels for live recording as I can't bump it up afterwards in post. Next

R0de Procaster > Focusrite 6I6 278 Possible setup

Contrasting opinion about whether this actually has 60db of gain but people say this has enough grunt, seems like a gamble though and how much noise is getting right into the top end of the gain going to create.

Audio Technica > Focusrite 2i2 222 Possible setup

So I started thinking of ditching the procaster and using a the AT2035 condenser, I know this is decent entry level and the Focusrite has Phantom Power so it will have enough juice to retain decent levels. Obvious downside to this is that there will potentially be much more noise introduced this way. However better that than having a really quiet mic.

So that's about where I am at, I have looked at lots of different USB Audio Interfaces and they all seem to top out at around 60db, however that's not accounting for noise introduced when pumping gain and there is nowhere near me where I could try the above setups out.

I really need to get this right first time, hope you can help me

Thanks
    For that money you could buy a nice mic and preamp like in the last example. SO much more adjustment and usability for the future.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rob aylestone For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob aylestone View Post
    For that money you could buy a nice mic and preamp like in the last example. SO much more adjustment and usability for the future.
    Thanks for the reply.

I am thinking of getting an Audio Compressor so that I dont peak to loud or sound to quiet and when gaming there is never a really stable balance depending what is happening.

What about this, is this viable;

Is it possible to have a Audio Technica > Focusrite 2I4 > DBX 266XS Compressor

What is the correct order, would this work and how do I get the audio back to the PC, confused?

Not sure if this sort of thing is possible, would probably have to use a USB preamp mixer to get this setup working instead of the Focusrite?
    Last edited by Stuartd; 09-08-2015 at 13:09.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuartd View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

I am thinking of getting an Audio Compressor so that I dont peak to loud or sound to quiet and when gaming there is never a really stable balance depending what is happening.

What about this, is this viable;

Is it possible to have a Audio Technica > Focusrite 2I4 > DBX 266XS Compressor

What is the correct order, would this work and how do I get the audio back to the PC, confused?

Not sure if this sort of thing is possible, would probably have to use a USB preamp mixer to get this setup working instead of the Focusrite?
    The 2i2 doesn't have channel inserts, and only has 2 inputs/outputs, so it wouldn't be able to both deliver phantom power to the AT2035 and loop the compressor into the signal chain.

I wouldn't worry about a hardware compressor at this point.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tadpui For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tadpui View Post
    The 2i2 doesn't have channel inserts, and only has 2 inputs/outputs, so it wouldn't be able to both deliver phantom power to the AT2035 and loop the compressor into the signal chain.

I wouldn't worry about a hardware compressor at this point.
    I see what your saying, however back when I was making Youtube recordings my audio would clip quite often and it was the most annoying thing that can happen, granted that was with a Samson USB mic and now I would be using a AT2035 XLR.

Can anyone recommend a setup that includes the following;

Audio Technica 2035 > Pre Amp > Compressor > PC

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arcaxis View Post
    How about a dbx 286s Channel Strip in front of the interface. It also allows a bit more tweaking of the sound. Line out of the 286s would go the Line in of the interface.

Audio Technica 2035 > DBX 286s > interface > PC

I do own the DBX 286s and it's a decent piece of gear.
    Wow thanks for the reply this looks to be just what I am looking for, I will need an interface with ” TRS Input Jack?

Something like this;

Audio Technica 2035 > DBX 286s > FOCUSRITE SCARLETT 6I6 > PC

The Scarlett costs more than the DBX but not many seem to have Inputs other than the XLR.

Thanks
    The input jacks on the 2i2 are combo jacks, that can accept XLR or 1/4" inputs. And I believe that they are switchable between mic and line input levels. Might need to consult the manual on Focusrite's website just to make sure.

EDIT: arcaxis beat me to it!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tadpui For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arcaxis View Post
    Focusrite 2i2 will likely be adequate for you. 1/4" is TRS.
    That looks spot on thanks and will save me quite some money over the 6I6, shows how new I am to this type of gear. Would you set the gain right down on the Scarlett then or leave it in the middle?

As far as input levels it says the following on the website, I also looked at the specs but didn't know what I was looking for really;

Use the front panel high quality XLR/jack combination inputs to connect line and instrument level signals as well as microphones – perfect for recording a synth or stage piano, or at the flick of a switch, an electric or acoustic guitar.

Just a thought as well,

As I said my room isn't treated and so I'm a little worried about the AT2035 in terms of pickup, I see the DBX has 60db of gain, would it be worth switching to the Rode Procaster now over the AT2035?
    Last edited by Stuartd; 09-08-2015 at 15:33.

Thanks
    Thanks for all the replies and help,

Now I know what I am getting with regards to equipment I have put a poll onto this thread so I can hopefully get some opinion on which mic to choose.

Is the Audio Technica a better quality mic than the Procaster ? My room is untreated like I said and there could be some leakage from the outside, as well as keyboard and mouse clicks. However I'm assuming the Procaster will pick up keyboard sounds and mouse sounds to a lesser extent.

Last part of the puzzle

Thanks
    Hi everyone,

So I went ahead and bought the following;

R0de Procaster > DBX286s> TRS Jack from Output to Scarlett Focusrite 2I2 > PC

Should I set the front of the 2I2 to Line or Inst, if you look at the file I have attached it would seem that using Inst makes the most sense and it is louder than when I was using Line for sure. Would getting a TRS to XLR make any difference to the sound quality or am I perfectlt fine with the current setup?

Also when using Inst if I have the gain all the way up I have to turn down the output on the DBX 286s so that it doesn't clip, I have it set to +60 on the gain and then -10 on the output, although the focusrite still flashes orange and red sometimes on the led.

For anyone that has the DBX286s which part controls how much your voice is being compressed, I was suprised to still get some clipping when using this, I think it has a -30db total clip so is it that I am going to high for the compressor to handle? I have watched a few Youtube videos and used their settings as a baseline but its hard to know what to do as a beginner.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails untitled-2-png  

Thread Information