Mic for broadcasting, podcasting, VO suggestions and feedback.

sulla

Hi and thanks in advance for the help. I am trying to makeup my mind what mic to get for podcasting. Some work will also be done from home for a chain or radio station I used to work for and maybe some voice over work in the future.

What I have to work with.

1. I have a Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 (60db of gain).
2. Starting out at least I will not have a room setup as it should be for voice over work etc. Although the solid wall of books might help.
3. Current mic owned. Shure 55SH II. I know not a great mic but I will need it later for some illustration work I am doing. Price was under $100 at the time or purchase.
4. About $200 to spend on a mic in the next year so shor term and used is fine. You are also welcome to suggest a long term mic purchase farther out.

Mics I am looking at.

1. Electro-Voice RE320. Seems to not need as much gain as the sm7b or re20 with a different sound to either but not a bad sound. I can find these for under $200 without much of a problem.

2. Shure SM7B. Seems to be a very good mic and if I am carefull I think I can score one for under $200. I have a 20% at guitar center so that will help. But this mic seems to need something like 6-7 more DB of gain over the RE320 so the Saffire Pro 14 seems to be cutting it close. And a cloudlifter will about double the price.

3. Electro Voice RE20. Supposed to be a great mic but needs more gain than the Re320 so not sure if it will work with the Focusrite. Also probably would be more like $250 for a used one.

I have looked at many other mics but these seem to be the ones that make the most sense.

Long Term

Long term I would like to get a better mic preamp like a Focusrite ISA One etc.

I like big dynamics a lot and I have all the obvious ones, but don't discount something like an nt1a.
If you're concerned about gain and noise, a budget capacitor mic would probably be a better job.

There's a lot to be said, though, for dynamic mics in that you can get very close to them and help to reduce the impact of a bad recording environment.

Straight answer - I much prefer the sm7b to the re20 on my voice.
People compare them all the time but I find the sm7b to be fuller and warmer, whereas the re20 sounds kinda mid scooped to me.

I don't really know the 320.

My voice likes "mid scooped" with the RE20/RE320 :)
If I were to describe the SM7b with my voice, I go with somewhat flat and a bit dull.
Listening to some of your stuff on your site, your voice is very much different than mine and maybe I can see where the SM7b might be a better fit for you.

Yeah, I'm glad you posted that because I was meaning to emphasise the different strokes idea rather than appear to contradict you.
Reading back, it doesn't come across well. :p

When I speak or sing in comfortable range, I have quite a full bass voice.

OP, I'd strongly recommend auditioning an re20 and sm7b if you're considering one of them.

Thanks for the feedback guys. It helps a lot to have insite from people with more knowledge than myself and first hand experience with the equipment. My voice is rather average in that it is not very low and is not very high. And that coupled with how much gain I might need for each mic and my budget and lack of room deadening seems to suggest the re320. I think I can get one for about $180 and not have to buy a fethead or a cloudbooster. And not have to keep the gain on my Saffire Pro 14 cranked to get enough sound out of it. I think at the very least I should be able to get good recordings out of it even if not 100% perfect for my voice. Does that sound reasonable? Hard to tell just from lots of research but from limited practical experience. :)

RE27 3.1mV/Pascal @1KHz
RE320 - 2.5mv/pascal
RE20 - 1.5mv/pascal
SM7b - 1.12mv/pascal

Here are some tests people have done for some of them. I did not have the links to the Shure SM7B tests handy. Any way thought I would posts for future readers asking the same questions :)

Re320 vs Re20 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ruNTeSaNKU
Re320 vs re20 vs pr40 vs atr2100 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XBBSfPnKa8
Re320 vs re20 vs re27nd https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiZYOC8jxII

Thank you for those links.
Your plan is reasonable as long as you're aware that there's a small element of risk.

Damn, I really need to A/B my re20 with someone else's.
It always sounded so scooped with a honky peak to me but I never hear that coming across in demo videos.
I'd hate to give flawed advice and find out my mic is acting odd.

Arcaxis, you know the mic pretty well, right?
If I sent you an A/B against an sm7b or 421 or something, would you mind casting a critical ear?

"Arcaxis, you know the mic pretty well, right?
If I sent you an A/B against an sm7b or 421 or something, would you mind casting a critical ear? "

You might find recording a burst of white or pink noise a more revealing probe than any particular voice?

Dave.

"Arcaxis, you know the mic pretty well, right?
If I sent you an A/B against an sm7b or 421 or something, would you mind casting a critical ear? "

You might find recording a burst of white or pink noise a more revealing probe than any particular voice?

Dave.

Ooh, good call!

Back