Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Help Me Find a De-Esser Plugin For Spoken Word/Podcast

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    Just upload a sample mp3 here on the forum so I can download and analyze it.
    This is their latest audio file from their website. It is a five min clip with a ton of sss's. I tried to upload their entire show but it is exceeding the upload limits for the forum. I hope I am not overstepping any boundaries, but they may not know how to upload audio files to the community or may be restricted due to their post count. Attachment 100673

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Four TV Sports View Post
    Looking for guidance on a de-esser for spoken word/podcast. I know usually people would say to de-ess through editing, but for spoken word, and weekly episodes that amount to 1.5-2 hours of content each week, that's not really an option. Is there a plugin that anyone would recommend? For some reason, the stock plugin isn't installed and I can't find it for the life of me.
    I did this video using your audio from your last EP. If your DAW has an eq and a spectrum analyzer, this is how you can build your own. It's simple. I also gave a shout out to this community as well as your show. I have one vid with over 11,000 views and this vid may send some listeners your way as well as potential members to this community. If anyone has any objections, just let me know and I will edit out any references to either site.

Just so you know, regardless of whether you use a free DE-esser or one that cost hundreds of dollars, they all operate on the same principal as explained in the video and you still need to tell the plugin what freqs you want to duct/reduce/cut or however you want to phrase it. If you have any questions, just post them back to this thread.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mack Caster View Post
    Just so you know, regardless of whether you use a free DE-esser or one that cost hundreds of dollars, they all operate on the same principal as explained in the video...
    Not that it's all that important, but there are to main ways de-essing is done, band limited compression or full band compression with band limited detection.

The method I use is somewhat different from both: frequency sensitive compression, where only the frequencies that exceed a threshold curve are affected.

reafir-de-esser-png

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bouldersoundguy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mack Caster View Post
    This is their latest audio file from their website. ... Attachment 100673
    Here's what I would do:

reafir-de-esser-aggie-png

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    Not that it's all that important, but there are to main ways de-essing is done, band limited compression or full band compression with band limited detection.

The method I use is somewhat different from both: frequency sensitive compression, where only the frequencies that exceed a threshold curve are affected.

reafir-de-esser-png
    I agree with you 100%. The point I failed to make is that the freqs must first be detected and than dealt with for either free or payed de-essers. I have always been taught that the less feqs affected on each side of the notch, the better the results. I think I will look into your method in more detail. It does make perfect sense that if compressed they would sound more natural maybe.

Thread Information