Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Help Me Find a De-Esser Plugin For Spoken Word/Podcast

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    So, sadly, $800-$1,000 isn't in the budget for those two mics. I'll do some googling of this question, but any quick suggestions of roughly similar mics that are $50-$100 ish?

Perhaps I'll have to live with the current set-up until the higher end mics are an affordable purchase. Maybe I can clear some "ssss" out by lowering the gain a bit and being a bit more picky on the EQ.

IMO, right now the sound quality is good enough that the sibilance isn't ruining the listenability of the audio. It's more just a picky annoyance that I'd like to solve. Any disagreement with that? I'm 100% open to harsh criticism.

Really appreciate all the help!
    Four TV Sports is a weekly sports podcast based in Austin, TX, primarily focused on college football. Past content and new releases available at http://fourtvsports.libsyn.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,026 Times in 906 Posts
    Did you try the off-axis idea?
    It wasn't a wild stab in the dark. It will solve the problem or, at least, go some way to helping.

Lowering the gain won't make a difference. The same content is there.
    eq or de-esser can help, of course, but just move the mic.
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

Thanks
    Sometimes the need to deess is too much -no let's say more high end, than is needed... or in the wrong frequencies. Have you considered that? (And/or a fairly narrow notch centered on the offending peak?
    Placebo stomps 96k ....... Recent projects
    Ray Catfish Copeland 'Got Love Jim Goodman 'Southern Steel

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steenamaroo View Post
    Did you try the off-axis idea?
    It wasn't a wild stab in the dark. It will solve the problem or, at least, go some way to helping.

Lowering the gain won't make a difference. The same content is there.
    eq or de-esser can help, of course, but just move the mic.
    So I did try that last night as I was setting up. I couldn't tell much difference, but in monitoring or in playback. I do have the mic positioned oddly though, to make room for my hands and such, so I had it either pointed up at the ceiling or down at the table. But in both scenarios, the difference was minimal if anything.

I may just have to live with this until I'm in the higher priced mic budget category.

Thanks for the thoughts, though. I'll continue to experiment with that in the event that it yields any results.

---------- Update ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mixsit View Post
    Sometimes the need to deess is too much -no let's say more high end, than is needed... or in the wrong frequencies. Have you considered that? (And/or a fairly narrow notch centered on the offending peak?
    Any thoughts on figuring out where the peak is? Would I need to grab a spectrum analyzer plugin to discover that?
    Four TV Sports is a weekly sports podcast based in Austin, TX, primarily focused on college football. Past content and new releases available at http://fourtvsports.libsyn.com/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Four TV Sports View Post
    So I did try that last night as I was setting up. I couldn't tell much difference, but in monitoring or in playback. I do have the mic positioned oddly though, to make room for my hands and such, so I had it either pointed up at the ceiling or down at the table. But in both scenarios, the difference was minimal if anything.

I may just have to live with this until I'm in the higher priced mic budget category.

Thanks for the thoughts, though. I'll continue to experiment with that in the event that it yields any results.
    Really? If you can't tell much difference, that's worrying.
    If the mic was pointing at the ceiling to start with that's probably more worrying. lol.

I understand you have to create a comfortable work environment but it has to sound good too. Prioritise.

Point the mic at the talent's face.
    If it sounds echoey move it closer.
    If it sounds boomy apply the mic HPF (if it has one) or move it farther away.
    If it's too sibilant move it a few inches left or right so it's 'firing' past their face slightly.
    If it's too thin move it up and point down towards their chest a bit.
    If it's too bassy move it down and point up towards their head a bit.

If all of that sucks consider how the room itself sounds. Is it a good room? Does it sound like a bathroom?
    Maybe consider trying an sm58 very close to the mouth.
    If the 58 fixes your issues but seems to be missing something, that's nature's way of telling you you'd love a 7b.

Thanks
    The only reason I can imagine different mic positioning being useful is if the esses are causing turbulence/plosive problems, blowing into the mic like wind. If it's just the ess sound then moving the mic won't help.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    The only reason I can imagine different mic positioning being useful is if the esses are causing turbulence/plosive problems, blowing into the mic like wind. If it's just the ess sound then moving the mic won't help.
    SoundOnSound article.

"Changing the angle of the mic in any given position will also change the sound,
    especially if you've followed the norm of using a large‑diaphragm cardioid condenser mic.
    Even the best large‑diaphragm cardioid mics deliver an altered frequency response off‑axis, which usually means less sensitivity to the high end of the spectrum"

I thought this was common knowledge?

Thanks
    SoundOnSound article.

"Changing the angle of the mic in any given position will also change the sound,
    especially if you've followed the norm of using a large‑diaphragm cardioid condenser mic.
    Even the best large‑diaphragm cardioid mics deliver an altered frequency response off‑axis, which usually means less sensitivity to the high end of the spectrum"

I thought this was common knowledge?
    You could just as easily cut those frequencies with eq, but that will detract from the tone of the voice. It's a problem of dynamics more than eq, the relative level of the esses to the rest of the voice. Either change the performance or use frequency-specific dynamic processing to fix it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    You could just as easily cut those frequencies with eq, but that will detract from the tone of the voice. It's a problem of dynamics more than eq, the relative level of the esses to the rest of the voice. Either change the performance or use frequency-specific dynamic processing to fix it.
    Which is it? Moving the mic wont work or there's an easier way to do it?
    Not meaning to be a dick but you just moved the goal posts.

Edit: Although pointing the mic at the ceiling or the table in an unknown room isn't exactly a great starting point.
    OP could be making problems for all we know.

Thanks
    Which is it? Moving the mic wont work or there's an easier way to do it?
    Not meaning to be a dick but you just moved the goal posts.

Edit: Although pointing the mic at the ceiling or the table in an unknown room isn't exactly a great starting point.
    OP could be making problems for all we know.
    If it's purely a problem of the ess sound being too prominent and everything else being okay, then moving the mic won't help. For this it's either change the performance or use frequency-specific dynamic processing.

If the whole sound of the voice is too bright then moving the mic, using a different mic, or using eq, can help.

If it's a problem of the esses blowing into the mic causing a rumbling sound, then moving the mic or using a pop screen can help.

Thread Information