Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: Help on interviewing someone over Skype on podcast!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    146
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    214755

    Help on interviewing someone over Skype on podcast!

    Sign in to disable this ad
    Hello, I am doing an interview for my podcast with a major person, so I do NOT want to screw it up.

    My podcast sounds really good but I've never done a Skype call with it. I run two Macbook computers, i run different types of cables to do this. For example, in Macbook 1, I am recording with my Rode-nt1000 into my tube pre amp, into the safari pro 40, into Logic Pro x.

    On the second computer, I trigger it to play clips on the podcast from YouTube or wherever. I hook the regular audio out of that one with a 3.5mm to two XLR cables into the safari pro 40 and put it on track two.

    In this case I am not sure what to do. I have a Zoom h6, so if I need to record the Skype call into it, that's fine. But I need him to hear me through my mic. If I do it the way I do it with clips, I'll hear him, but he won't hear me, because my mic is on another computer, but the computer he's on is going to computer one through the two XLR's.

    I don't mind not using Logic Pro for this, I can do it all on the Zoom h6 field recorder if needed and bring it into final cut pro to mix and compress.

    Please help me with this it comes up in a week.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    384
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 41 Times in 41 Posts
    Rep Power
    635178
    Set up a mic for skype on laptop 1, record the audio output of laptop 1 into laptop 2 via the interface. Should get the audio from both ends of the conversation.

    Set up another mic for laptop 2 to record your end of the audio, via the preamp and interface for high quality podcast audio. Replace your speech from Laptop 1 with the audio from the second mic on laptop 2.
    Should all work, but you'll have to be careful about editing/speaking over each other.
    ???

    edit:
    You could just use the built-in mic/audio on laptop 1.

    edit:
    Also, the audio quality will be limited by skype, so setting up a really nice mic for him to hear you won't be the limiting factor.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    U.K.
    Age
    34
    Posts
    19,588
    Thanks
    1,224
    Thanked 1,047 Times in 925 Posts
    Rep Power
    1000000
    You could set Skype up to use your mac onboard digital output as the output path, then loop that back to the saffire digital input.
    Your Skype input would be the saffire as normal so the guy can hear you 'direct'.

    That way logic would let you see your microphone as normal on input one, your second laptop on line inputs 3+4 (or whatever) and the incoming Skype audio via digital input.
    Of course you'd have to be record armed and monitoring all those channels to hear everything.
    (*I don't know if the mac digital output is s/pdif or what it is - you'd need to sus that out first*)

    If the above is no good you can do the exactly the same thing but use soundflower instead of the digital loop.
    Sound flower is a kind of virtual bus software and it's free.
    The only difference is you'd have to create an aggregate device of your saffire and sound flower so that logic can see all the inputs.

    Needless to say, do a few test calls and recordings with a friend well in advance of the real deal.
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    146
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    214755
    This is good advice. I am going to do some test calls before next week when this goes down. I am thinking about using a Lav mic, the Rode Lav mic that they make, for him to hear me. However, recording the good audio with the Nt-1000. Then editing out the lav mic.

    To the second comment, that sounds interesting. I can go out of the second macbook in any type of way. I have a fairly nice home studio with pretty much every connection you can think of. I can go out of it via 3.5mm to two XLR's. Or I can use a different interface on it, to send a spidif out. I should have no latency as the Saffire on computer 1 allows for no latency, and I mute Logic while it's recording, and hear the inputs via the digital mixer on the saffire, which is before it even hits logic.

    I would like to record it all in logic, so I can send two outputs of the saffire to the zoom h6. Because I want to have a backup incase something goes wrong. It took a while to get this guy on my podcast, and he is a well known author. It would suck bad if he came on and something happened.

    There is an issue which I can't figure out, what if I want to play clips, as I do on my podcast, but I want him to hear these clips as well?

    Now keep in mind, the Saffire interface, has a digital mixer. It is like a regular analog mixer. In other words, it's not just an interface, it can work as a mixer, before it hits any DAW. I can make the outputs whatever I want. For example, I can send my mic out of 4 outputs or 10 outputs. It lets me route whatever input to whatever output, and the digital mixer software allows me to control volume as well as set up all the routes.

    I know the audio quality will be limited on Skype, however, it will be limited in how he can hear me. I want me to sound clear the way I sound on a podcast by myself. He can sound like a Skype call, that doesn't matter.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    U.K.
    Age
    34
    Posts
    19,588
    Thanks
    1,224
    Thanked 1,047 Times in 925 Posts
    Rep Power
    1000000
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium trigge View Post
    Now keep in mind, the Saffire interface, has a digital mixer. It is like a regular analog mixer. In other words, it's not just an interface, it can work as a mixer, before it hits any DAW. I can make the outputs whatever I want. For example, I can send my mic out of 4 outputs or 10 outputs. It lets me route whatever input to whatever output, and the digital mixer software allows me to control volume as well as set up all the routes.
    If you don't mind me asking, does your mac allow you to choose particular inputs and outputs on that saffire in apps like Skype, or even in audio/midi setup?
    My motu interface just shows as 'motu 828' and it defaults to inputs 1+2 and outputs 1+2.

    Obviously it's not an issue in a DAW or something but for Skype/facetime/gaming I'm forced to use input 1 or 2.



    Quote Originally Posted by delirium trigge View Post
    There is an issue which I can't figure out, what if I want to play clips, as I do on my podcast, but I want him to hear these clips as well?
    That's a bit trickier. Hmm.


    Maybe it's best to do the whole thing in logic using an aggregate device of the saffire and sound flower.

    • Mic goes to Saffire 1 - into logic
    • Second mac goes to analog 1+2 or whatever - into logic
    • Skype output goes to SoundFlower 1+2 - into logic
    • Anything you want the guy to hear goes to SoundFlower 1+2 from within logic.
    • Set both Skype I/O to SoundFlower 1+2.



    *note, sound flower ins and outs are totally separate. You won't get a feedback loop or anything.

    Seems like the simplest way to me.
    You can get your ins and outs organised in advance and even save the session so all you have to do on the day is open up and arm the tracks.

    Quote Originally Posted by delirium trigge View Post
    I want me to sound clear the way I sound on a podcast by myself. He can sound like a Skype call, that doesn't matter.
    Go with the above. That way he's getting a post-logic output so you can have your eqs/comps etc all set up in advance.

    This also means you can have a multitrack backup if you like, and if your zoom is capable.
    You can send each individual element of the 'mix' to spare line outs for backup recording purposes.
    Last edited by Steenamaroo; 03-19-2015 at 11:10.
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    384
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 41 Times in 41 Posts
    Rep Power
    635178
    If time is of the essence then installing and possibly troubleshooting software will add complication/complexity - even if it's simple software (which soundflower is, relatively) then it will add another thing to go wrong.

    As for the clips...well, you have a smartphone/tablet? Wire it in to play audio, OR send him the clips in advance and get him to play them on his end then edit the video/audio (use playing the clip as a distraction to cover up rough edits maybe) and edit out the pauses.

    Sending them to him might be a slight imposition, but it will mean he has access to full quality clips - you can probably send him a link via skype text chat when you guys are setting up.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    U.K.
    Age
    34
    Posts
    19,588
    Thanks
    1,224
    Thanked 1,047 Times in 925 Posts
    Rep Power
    1000000
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake_JW View Post
    If time is of the essence then installing and possibly troubleshooting software will add complication/complexity - even if it's simple software (which soundflower is, relatively) then it will add another thing to go wrong.
    I don't really see how. Sound flower is pretty simple as you say but, once it's set up, I can't see how it would go wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jake_JW View Post
    As for the clips...well, you have a smartphone/tablet? Wire it in to play audio,
    He has a second laptop to play the clips from. Smartphone/tablet would be fine but there's already a solution in place.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jake_JW View Post
    OR send him the clips in advance and get him to play them on his end then edit the video/audio (use playing the clip as a distraction to cover up rough edits maybe) and edit out the pauses.
    If you're talking about things to go wrong I wouldn't send the guy clips
    1: It probably is an imposition.
    2: How is he going to route that down the 'phone line'?
    3: Even if he does, it'll be Skype quality. OK, OP can replace it later, but why bother?
    4: There's massive potential for the guy to mess it up.
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    384
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 41 Times in 41 Posts
    Rep Power
    635178
    I'm always a believer that if you have to do something even vaguely complex in a bit of a hurry then keep things as simple as possible - yes, soundflower shouldnt go wrong, but neither should any number of other programs. And yet they still do for a great many people...

    It's all a bit of a moot point now as I'm sure OP has it figured out, one way or another.
    I'd be interested to hear how it went/what setup they went for.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    146
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    214755
    Well, the podcast got delayed another week due to a death in my family. So, I have longer to figure this out. It does show me multiple inputs and outputs in the settings.

    I do have it figured out although I do not know if the way I am doing it is the best way and will experiment with other ways. This is what I'm doing:

    Computer 1 has Logic Pro X running, the Rode NT-1000 through the MPA II pre amp recording my voice. It has the saffire pro 40 connected to it via firewire. I have two outputs routed just like the monitor outputs, they go into the Zoom h6 for backup recording.

    Computer two, I am using a 3.5mm to two XLR's into the saffire pro 40, so it is also recording in Logic on computer 1. However, the person I'm speaking to can't hear me on computer 1's mic. He will be hearing me on the Rode Smart Lav, which is an iPhone lav mic, but I have an adapter to plug it into the mac.

    Once I edit it, I will cut out the Lav. If there is any delay going on I will line everything up correctly. I will not be monitoring mic 1, as there could be delay. I will be hearing myself on the Lav mic that he is hearing me through.

    If something goes wrong with Logic, everything will record on the Zoom h6 in stereo.

    I would like to figure out a way to play clips on the podcast where he can hear them. I play clips on there now, but I never have with a guest.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    146
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    214755
    If I use a second interface, like the M-Audio fast track Pro on computer 2, would it be possible to play the clips through that and him hear them over Skype?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Podcast and Skype
    By stevegb13 in forum Newbies
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-04-2011, 19:35
  2. Skype
    By Fariz in forum Newbies
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-02-2011, 07:43
  3. What mic for interviewing?
    By Phloodpants in forum Microphones
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-14-2002, 11:37

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •