Decent podcasting equipments!

JussiFin

Hello!

I bet this question has been here a million times already but I'll ask anyway. So, me and a few friends are planning to start running a podcast show. What type of equipment should we get? It doesn't have to be the best in the world but something decent still.

And any advice on how could we get the best sound quality possible when recording conversation via Skype? We live quite a distance from each other so we can't record in one place only.

Thanks!

Hello!

I bet this question has been here a million times already but I'll ask anyway. So, me and a few friends are planning to start running a podcast show. What type of equipment should we get? It doesn't have to be the best in the world but something decent still.

And any advice on how could we get the best sound quality possible when recording conversation via Skype? We live quite a distance from each other so we can't record in one place only.

Thanks!

Hey and welcome.
Give us a bit more info, please.

Is it a live streamed podcast, or something you can edit and publish later?

Do both parties have enough knowledge/capability to do some home recording?
If it's not live you could both record your voices separately then combine the two later, for optimal quality.
It's also a lot easier than trying to record a Skype call.

Do either of you have any relevant equipment already? Audio interfaces, microphones, computers?

Thanks for a quick response!

It's not live stream. So we edit and publish it later. Are free basic softwares good enough for this? I mean Audacity for example? All of us have decent computers but no microphones yet.

Ok cool.
If quality is a concern I wouldn't record the feed that you hear over Skype. It usually sucks.

If you get a USB mic each and both download audacity, you can each record your part of the conversation, then one of you can do the compiling at the end.
Use dropbox or something for file transfers.

USB mics wouldn't be the go-to for starting a recording setup but they're perfectly adequate for clear voice recording.

Sound like a plan?

Alright thank you sir! That sounds simple and effective. Skype we would still use to talk, but record only own voice with audacity.

Are there any major differences within USB-microphones?

Alright thank you sir! That sounds simple and effective. Skype we would still use to talk, but record only own voice with audacity.

Are there any major differences within USB-microphones?

Any time. :)

Honestly? I'm not the man to answer that. I've limited experience with them.
Hopefully someone can give you a recommendation soon, though. :)

Yamaha just came out with a new audio interface/mixer combo called the AG03/AG06. It is aimed at podcasters because it can mix the computer signal with the microphone signal and route it all (in a loop) back to the computer for streaming or podcasting... I received one this week and it works well as an audio interface and the mic pres are ok. I have not podcasted with it.

As for your USB mic question- I own 2: A Samson c1 and a Samson Meteor desktop. Both USB Mics both work well and the sound quality is fine for podcasting (about 80 percent of the quality of a SM58 for example) and they only cost about 30 dollars US.

Back