Recording equipment for classical flute

kkingni17

Hello!

I'm a classical flutist, and due to Covid I've found that the only way to continue performing these days is via recording. Unfortunately my setup is woefully lacking; I've been making do with a 10-year old Zoom H2 for audio recordings and my iphone for video recordings. I'd like to upgrade and have been looking at the Shure MOTIV MV88, which interests me because it's compatible with my phone and thus would enable me to make better video recordings as well as audio. Does anyone have experience with this device? Would it work well for recording flute? Is there a better option that I should be looking into? Any advice or recommendations would be most welcome!

By all means go for the Shure. It will do a fine job, but that is only part of the battle.

Getting a good recording of flute depends on the equipment, the flute, the performance and the room. Recording in a bedroom or a lounge will not give you the same sense of space that recording in a concert hall would. So no matter what you do, you may still end up with dry, boxy and unappealing recordings. If you are stuck with recording in an unsympathetic space, you will then need to figure out what to add to the recordings (e.g. reverb or delay) to get depth.

Thanks for your reply! I am lucky enough to have access to a lovely chapel with beautiful acoustics, but am finding the poor recording quality very frustrating. Have you used the Shure before? Do you think it would work well for flute?

Back