Recording Drums and Guitar

Highvoltmusic

Hello,

I hope everyone is keeping safe during this pandemic. I'm a drummer and guitar player. I would like to start recording both. I do have Pro tools and studio one. I need to get a new interface. My drum kit is a 5 piece.

Should I get a mixer that can also control my DAW or get an interface with lots of mic inputs? Any recommendations would be helpful.

Last edited:
Hello,

I hope everyone is keeping safe during this pandemic. I'm a drummer and guitar player. I would like to start recording both. I do have Pro tools and studio one. I need to get a new interface. My drum kit is a 5 piece.

Should I get a mixer that can also control my DAW or get an interface with lots of mic inputs? Any recommendations would be helpful.
I've always thought of control surfaces and interfaces as separate products, though some of the new digital mixers may operate as both, but I'd probably opt for a decent interface with 8 mic pres to start with. Then, if you find the keyboard/mouse business too much trouble for mixing, look at control surfaces.

Me, I never used a real console, so the control surface thing never seemed like space and $ I'd get money back on, and I sure can't use it while I'm actually playing myself!

The Zoom R16 and R24 have been around for some time now and both are a very good interface as well as a better than basic control surface. Both have 8 inputs as well.

HighVoltMusic needs a Real Physical Mixer >>> Not some imaginable thing from outer space

HighVolMusic needs something that is fit for purpose . . . something that will allow him to get him the results he is seeking.

Fortunately, we don't have any imaginable things from outer space, so he is stuck with what there is on this planet. The Zooms like they would fulfil his requirements for mutli inputs as we ll as mixer control, as would the Presonus range. for him to

Buy an interface with 8 mic inputs, as soon as you get 5 channels for drums you wish you had got 8 channels. Recording a standard Snare, rack tom, floor tom, kick size kit I use 9 channels. I could get by with 8.

You will thank me later :)

Since he is already running studio one and PT wouldn't it make sense to get a Presonus studio live board?

The StudioLive boards can handle up to 64 channels over USB, according to Presonus' info. It should work just fine, plus you can do multitrack to an SD card.

I’d suggest, depending on your budget, to get an interface with at least 8 mic inputs. You could do with as little as three inputs, but it takes a lot of practice to get the mic positioning right - and while it is a cool authentic sound, it does have it’s limitations.

I've always thought of control surfaces and interfaces as separate products, though some of the new digital mixers may operate as both, but I'd probably opt for a decent interface with 8 mic pres to start with. Then, if you find the keyboard/mouse business too much trouble for mixing, look at control surfaces.

Me, I never used a real console, so the control surface thing never seemed like space and $ I'd get money back on, and I sure can't use it while I'm actually playing myself!

If I do with an interface I was thinking of the Scarlett 18i20 or the Clarett 8pre.

Back