Recording with Clarett Focusrite 4 Pre and Logic Pro X

Marais

Hello,

Here's a damn stickler!

I've been recording for about one year with Focusrite control on Mac connected to the Clarett 4 Pre and Logic.

After months of Googling and forums I have found NO answers to the following questions :
1 - If I try to mute my input devices from Focusrite Control it does strictly NOTHING. Only way to stop the feedback is to turn off the phantom power to the mics.
2 - And if I press on "mute" on any category ALL the categories are muted

3 - I'm sure there is some subtility I'm missing but for the life of me I can only monitor the "live" input and not the DAW (in this case Logic). I know there will be some latency issues surely but I would like to be able to do so.

I also own and use the RME Babyface Pro and their driver/program works for all the above like a charm.

HELP!!!

Why aren’t you muting in Logic? (Not exactly sure what you are doing!)

I’m traveling so can’t really check on my system, which uses an older Saffire interface, but I never mess with the control app except when connecting the ADAT pres. I don’t recall any feedback problems, honestly, though I may disable recording or even turn down gain on the F’rite.

How do you have your mics set up? Are they aimed right at your monitors? Are you monitoring at a really loud level? I do turn off phantom power when I’m really done recording, assuming I don’t forget but I’ve usually got a dynamic plugged in and I tend to not fiddle with the interface while recording, e. g. in case I need to do another take or punch in something after listening in the monitors. I don’t listen at loud levels though.

In fact I record baroque music. So after each new piece we listen (all the musicians) through a speaker. The microphones are often many meters away and even so if I set the speaker to a comfortable volume I get feedback. Yes, that is exactly what I do now, and have been doing for a year. I manually turn off the phantom power buttons.
What I'm not understanding is that with the RME Interface for the Babyface Pro I just needed to mute the inputs. This does not seem to function on Focusrite control at all and no matter how many technicians fiddle with it. Annoying! Also I can't get the DAW to play back in monitor mode while recording. Surely that is some mixing thing I don't get.

But all of the above worked perfectly with the same mics and equipement through RME's interface...

Finally figured this out!

1 - The Focusrite control is NOT easy to understand. If you select one of the output panels on the left then mute an input channel this will apply ONLY to the panel that was selected on the left.
2 - Logic if you check "Input" (the orange button on each channel) to monitor will OVERIDE Focusrite control

So if you don't want feedback from the speaker both the channels of the output for that speaker (for instance channels 3 and 4) and the input connected must be muted and direct monitoring in Logic disabled.

It may just be simpler to do as I did, kill the phantom power = 2 physical buttons rather than all these antics.

Back