Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Recording both with mic and direct input via Focusrite

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Toastedgoat View Post
    There is a ton of DI boxes and it can get confusing. Not a hard and fast rule but usually, passive pickups, use active DI, active pickups use passive DI. Di Makers - Radial, Orchid, Hughes & Kettner, Torpedo, Countryman, etc.
    Hell I use a cheap Whirlwind IMP2 DI a lot, for live, and recording. It's not as cool as my radial, but it does a good job.
    Q: I understand the issue whit passive DI, but what if I use a "clean" guitar pedal (like a EQ set to unity) and use that as a buffer? That way it is all good whit impedance matching right?

This is what I mean:

Guitar -> pedal -> Passive DI

Thanks
    I plug my electric into my Radial PZ-Pre, the the XLR DI output to the AI, and the 'amp out' to the amp (which gets miked). I don't do it all the time, but a couple of times when I did, I ended up using the DIed track rather than the amped one.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rogonzab View Post
    Q: I understand the issue whit passive DI, but what if I use a "clean" guitar pedal (like a EQ set to unity) and use that as a buffer? That way it is all good whit impedance matching right?

This is what I mean:

Guitar -> pedal -> Passive DI
    Excellent! I am always telling folks that a PROPER buffered* pedal is the solution to many guitar interface problems. Want to record guitar straight into a laptop jack? Normally not good but with a pedal "off" in circuit, job's a good'un.

But you STILL don't need the DI passive OR active! The pedal will come out at guitar level but at a much lower impedance (resistance really) rarely more than 1000 Ohms which is high for pro kit but easily low enough for short runs. It can now feed a line input, the HZ input and an amp. The jack splitter is also much better done downstream of the right pedal.

*Not! One of those engineering oxymorons a "true bypass" pedal. AFAIK all Boss pedals are fully buffered as are the products of a company (cough) known to me.

Dave.

Thanks
    Get an ABY pedal: 1Out goes to the amp, the other to the interface.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ireland View Post
    Get an ABY pedal: 1Out goes to the amp, the other to the interface.
    ?? An ABY is usually just a switch?

The splitter cable or jacks system WORKS, all else is just unnecessary lily gilding and the splitter works even better if the guitar signal is buffered as above.

Would a picture help?

Dave.

Thanks
    I just know it works for me. I read that you are more likely to get unwanted noise with a simple splitter however if it’s working for you then cool. The other advantage I find with the ABY pedal is you can easily switch between 2 amps or run them both at the same time.

Thanks
    I just know it works for me. I read that you are more likely to get unwanted noise with a simple splitter however if it’s working for you then cool. The other advantage I find with the ABY pedal is you can easily switch between 2 amps or run them both at the same time.
    You may have "read" that a splitter gives unwanted noise (define "noise?) but in practice there is no reason it should. I would also like to know the electrical difference between an active ABY switcher and an active buffer and a splitter cable?

Both setups CAN produce ground hum problems but there are fixes for that.

Dave.

Thanks
    I don't know why you have the word "read" in quotation marks: a little condescending there mate. I "read" it in the Sound on Sound forums. Noise is defined as unwanted hum, crackle, general interference and anything else you do not want to come through either the DI signal or the amped signal. Like I said, if you get good results then good for you: I'm just offering my tuppence worth, as requested by the OP. I do not know what the technical differences are to be perfectly honest.

If the OP is interested, the switch I use is the EHX Switchblade Plus.

Thanks
    I don't know why you have the word "read" in quotation marks: a little condescending there mate. I "read" it in the Sound on Sound forums. Noise is defined as unwanted hum, crackle, general interference and anything else you do not want to come through either the DI signal or the amped signal. Like I said, if you get good results then good for you: I'm just offering my tuppence worth, as requested by the OP. I do not know what the technical differences are to be perfectly honest.

If the OP is interested, the switch I use is the EHX Switchblade Plus.
    I know the SoS forums very well (as ef37a) and had I read that statement, as a bare, unqualified claim, I would have challenged it as I have your good self. There is no technical reason why passively splitting (really just putting in parallel) a guitar signal should introduce noise of any kind. "We" did it all the time A/B testing amplifiers (the amp switching was done with a monster bespoke relay switcher) .

As for the technical difference between a buffered split and an active switch? None whatsoever. I shall however look up that EHX jobby and see if I can find a schematic. You never know, might be something I had not thought of.

Not condescending friend I just have a dislike of throw out statements that I know to be technically "wrong". There is SO much about audio electronics that confuses peeps and I try in my small way to reduce it. So, Peace? Buy you a pint if you are ever around NN5 5P*!

Ah, the EHX is in fact a totally passive switcher, 9V is just for the LEDs so in fact it is just the same topology as the cable splitter.

Dave.

Thanks
    No worries man, I just have a dislike of quotation marks lol. I am relatively new to this recording malarkey so I tend to go by advice from, as I see it, much more experienced folks than me. Had I read your advice before going with the ABY switch I may well have gone a different route. It’s just an option at the end of the day, not saying one is better than the other. Peace indeed ��

Oh and I do like pints �� lol!

Thread Information