Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Recording both with mic and direct input via Focusrite

Thanks

Recording both with mic and direct input via Focusrite

Sign in to disable this ad
    I'm using a Focusrite Scarlett and I want to record my guitar with both direct input and a mic in front of my amp without having to play it both seperately (because obviously you won't get the same result exactly).
    We did bass that way, but unlike our bass amp, my guitar amp (Vox AC15C1) doesn't have the option to plug in a cable that you can connect to your focusrite for recording direct input while having your amp still amplify your guitar sound. The option on the bass amp is called direct output if I'm not mistaken

So now I'm wondering is it possible to do this with the focusrite inbetween? So I'm thinking something like:
    - guitar goes directly in Focusrite (=> direct input recording)
    - Some output from Focusrite goes to amp which amplifies the sound
    - Put mic in front of amp which goes in the 2nd input from the Focusrite (=> amplified recording)

I fooled around a bit with the Focusrite with this mindset but haven't find the solution. Also a bit afraid to blow something up because of wrong usage of inputs and stuff (or is this impossible?*).

*I'm rather new to home recording, and don't know that much about power/electronics/...

Thanks
    You're not going to blow anything up - but the outputs from the focusrite are set up inside the computer - so it feeds sound to the computer and then of the routing is set in the machine, it will appear back out the focurite. People usually use this system for monitoring - so you just need to give it a go - or of course just buy a cheap DI box

Thanks
    Use a DI and plug the guitar into that. Take the XLR (low-Z) output to the Focusrite, and the Thru 1/4" to the amp, which you mic. Assign the appropriate inputs in your DAW to the two signals (of course). Then you can do what you want with the straight/dry guitar signal - use amp/fx sims, pan, eq, reamp, whatever.

For this kind of use, I think any well-rated, passive DI will work. (Opinions will vary, however.) I have a few, including the Radial Pro, and a couple cheaper ones from GC/MF (can't recall name). They all work.

Radial ProDI 1-channel Passive Instrument Direct Box | Sweetwater
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    To be honest friend, if you just take 3 jacks and solder them pin for pin you get guitar in plus an amp feed and a feed to the hi Z on the AI. That is all there is inside the vast majority of DI boxes that give you a slave out to an amp.

You just might get a hum aka ground loop but we can beat that if it happens. Nothing "smoky" will happen.

Dave.

Thanks
    You could also achieve your guitar sound with pedals and send it all through your typical bass amp setup.
    I'm only competing with the person I was yesterday.

Thanks
    As others have said, you'll best accomplish this with a DI Box.
    These go for as low as $20, though I'd recommend throwing a little more money if you have the cash.
    DI Box Google search

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bainmack View Post
    As others have said, you'll best accomplish this with a DI Box.
    These go for as low as $20, though I'd recommend throwing a little more money if you have the cash.
    DI Box Google search
    Thing is, OP already HAS a "DI", the instrument input on the AI. DI boxes come in two flavours*. Passive and active. The passives use a transformer of around 10:1 to get a moderately high input impedance but this is rarely more than 120k and often below 100k. Then passive alter the tone of the guitar, a property that also varies guitar to guitar. Many folks LIKE the change of tone but change there be.

Active DIs can have an input Z of one meg Ohm or more and are generally more "transparent" but good ones are quite pricey.

The jack splitter adds nothing but a bit of capacitance which you will get anyway with a two way slave setup.

*Lots of things get called "DI" boxes, often 1:1 line isolation boxes. This is just confusing to the noobs.

Dave.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ecc83 View Post
    Thing is, OP already HAS a "DI", the instrument input on the AI. DI boxes come in two flavours*. Passive and active. The passives use a transformer of around 10:1 to get a moderately high input impedance but this is rarely more than 120k and often below 100k. Then passive alter the tone of the guitar, a property that also varies guitar to guitar. Many folks LIKE the change of tone but change there be.

Active DIs can have an input Z of one meg Ohm or more and are generally more "transparent" but good ones are quite pricey.

The jack splitter adds nothing but a bit of capacitance which you will get anyway with a two way slave setup.

*Lots of things get called "DI" boxes, often 1:1 line isolation boxes. This is just confusing to the noobs.

Dave.
    good clarification. thanks Dave.

on that note, what's a good 'transparent' DI box that you would recommend?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bainmack View Post
    good clarification. thanks Dave.

on that note, what's a good 'transparent' DI box that you would recommend?
    Only one based on reviews (sound on sound) and V4M. The Orchid Electronics Active. I shall find more details and be beck!

Orchid Electronics DI Boxes |

Dave

Thanks
    There is a ton of DI boxes and it can get confusing. Not a hard and fast rule but usually, passive pickups, use active DI, active pickups use passive DI. Di Makers - Radial, Orchid, Hughes & Kettner, Torpedo, Countryman, etc.
    Hell I use a cheap Whirlwind IMP2 DI a lot, for live, and recording. It's not as cool as my radial, but it does a good job.

Thread Information