recording booth

what are you planning to use it for? if you want it for vocals its gonna be smaller than if you needed it for a drum set.

MoneyMaker said:
im puting together a simple studio in a my bedroom, whut would be the best size to make a recording booth?

Use your closet if you can for vocals

I gotta be honest...if you're tryin to do thisin your bedroom. do not make a small small booth for vocals.

DO put some stuff on the walls, to cut down on the bad sounding room verb.
do NOT put it in your closet. not only does it get super hot in there, but closets are tiny, therefore sound bounces everywhere, very fast, inside of them.

I've found that, if you can't make a well engineered and designed vocal booth, stick to a larger room, with what little treatment you are capable of doing. your vocals will come out better - try it and see for yourself.

can you have some space in the basement instead? remember, you have to sleep somewhere...

my studio started in my bedroom too, but that only lasted until i got a drumset... i wasnt allowed to ditch my bed for extra space, so we finished a room in my basement for me.

its 20X15, which was HUGE in the beginning...

...i've gotten so much stuff that i dont have space to move... (ok so i can move a little.)

what are you primarily recording? rap vocals? rock bands?
if its rap, it could work in your bedroom.

one thing; bass builds up in corners, which you will read about here. what i am doing to escape this problem, i'm building a drum iso room; it is a 5 walled room instead of a square. my theory is, 90 degree angles are terrible, so by extending a 90 degree angle 15 degrees on each side, i just might have less of a problem, and build a pentagonal room.

i'll let you know how it works out. its just a theory.

I just helped a guy set up a space in his bedroom and we made it 8ft by 5ft and about 6 1'2ft high. Picked up some of that PVC plastic pipe with tee's and elbows for the frame. Tied some heavy quilted moving blankets to the top and let em hang. I had some extra Aurelex treatment that we spot treated the inside walls with. He's just doing acoustic guitar and vocals so it's working out fine.
Maybe you can get an idea from this.... :)

Bi-fold Closet doors did the trick for me

Here's what I did.

I took two bi-fold closet doors that I wasn't using anymore.
1. I took a 2'x4' piece of plywood and screwed both doors to the edges of the plywood.
2. I put a plastic window above the bottom piece of plywood,
3. then finished out at the top of the window with some more plywood.
4. I then stapled some cheap foam bedding (walmart, 4' x 6' pieces, like $8) to the whole thing, except the window part.

Looks homemade but it works for where i'm at right now...and that's cheapville!

I can carry this thing in and out of the studio room fairly easily and leave it in the garage up against a wall. whenever I use it, I simply back it into a corner and it seems to do the trick fairly well. I also use some blankets on the walls and prop up a box spring covered in blankets right next to it to extend the space inside. I had a guy in there with a music stand, his guitar, the mic stand, a chair, 3 groupies, 2 small mexicans, and some patchouli incense to boot.

well...I may have exaggerated on the mexicans...

All in all I spent maybe $25. I had to be cheap as I could on this one. Hopefully one day I can justify buying a few of those SE Reflexion Filters. Those things look like they rock.

Hope that helps...If the pictures don't show up attached, i'll throw them up to the website for you.

StrangeFamilyMusic.net

Pictures here: <a href="http://strangefamilymusic.net/projects/soundbooth.html">Soundbooth</a>

/thread noob
//html noob too.

ec.

Back