Recording audio from iPhone app via headphone jack?

skycanyon

I have an app (Beatwave) on my iPhone 3GS that lets me construct simple song ideas. I got it as an idea notebook. Unfortunately other users have discovered that if they pay for an add-on that lets them export the sound they have created (gotcha!), this may erase the music or simply fail to export. So, instead of losing my work/money, I connected an audio cable from the iPhone headphone out to the front-panel input on my ART preamp.

I got some puzzling results. Despite keeping an eye on the preamp level meters, the music I recorded kept sounding as if it were badly clipped. There was no indication I was over-driving either the preamp or the software (Audacity) I used to record. The level was less than 0.4 in the Audacity waveform window, but it had a flattened appearance where the signal was stronger, almost as if something clipped it before in arrived at my soundcard. I finally recorded at a lower general level and got fair results. It doesn't sound quite as clear as when earbuds are used to listen to the iPhone. One blogger has measured iPhone output impedance at 32 ohms. Any tips on matching the iPhone output to my DAW input?

I would assume that the audio from your Iphone is already heavily processed by the app you are using. I would think that any form of extra amplification (running the audio through a preamp) would give results of distortion and clipping.

That's true. I'm just surprised this good preamp did not indicate any clipping, nor did the sound card mixer control panel, nor Audacity. I guess I'll have to settle for my workaround for the time being. Thanks all.

Back