Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Recording Acoustic Guitar and Vocals at the Same Time

Thanks

Recording Acoustic Guitar and Vocals at the Same Time

Sign in to disable this ad
    I've seen many videos on Youtube from amateur musicians where they are able to record themselves playing an acoustic guitar and sing at the same time and the audio quality is excellent. I've also seen professionals such as Paul McCartney do this but I guess they can afford the sound engineers to make great recordings in almost any situations.

I want to try doing the same thing but I don't understand how they can make such good recordings without hearing any acoustic guitar bleeding into the vocal track. Or there are bleeds, I just can't hear them after proper mixing? Is there a trick? I am thinking if I use any LDC on vocals....it'll definitely pick up my acoustic guitar sound....even if I plug in directly into my interface. And if I want to mic my guitar amp, the SM57 will still pick up a bit of the vocal...albeit less than the other way around I am guessing.

What's the trick?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
    I've seen many videos on Youtube from amateur musicians where they are able to record themselves playing an acoustic guitar and sing at the same time and the audio quality is excellent. I've also seen professionals such as Paul McCartney do this but I guess they can afford the sound engineers to make great recordings in almost any situations.

I want to try doing the same thing but I don't understand how they can make such good recordings without hearing any acoustic guitar bleeding into the vocal track. Or there are bleeds, I just can't hear them after proper mixing? Is there a trick? I am thinking if I use any LDC on vocals....it'll definitely pick up my acoustic guitar sound....even if I plug in directly into my interface. And if I want to mic my guitar amp, the SM57 will still pick up a bit of the vocal...albeit less than the other way around I am guessing.

What's the trick?
    Most of the time there is more than one mic, just one is hidden. If you only have one mic you have to find a good sounding spot in your room and than stick on some headphones and move around the mic while singing and playing until you find where you are getting the best balance.
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2018 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtoboy View Post
    Most of the time there is more than one mic, just one is hidden. If you only have one mic you have to find a good sounding spot in your room and than stick on some headphones and move around the mic while singing and playing until you find where you are getting the best balance.
    I am actually thinking about using two mics as well. An SM57 on the Fishman Loudbox and an MXL LDC on locals....in the same room. But wouldn't the sound of my acoustic guitar be on the vocal mic track as well?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
    I am actually thinking about using two mics as well. An SM57 on the Fishman Loudbox and an MXL LDC on locals....in the same room. But wouldn't the sound of my acoustic guitar be on the vocal mic track as well?
    If you've got the guitar hooked up to the Loudbox you might as well record it direct rather than putting a mic on the amp. Use headphones and turn the amp's speaker down or off. That would minimize bleed.

Thanks
    But you are correct, the LDC will pick up the acoustic guitar's unplugged sound. How do you know what you are listening to has discreet vox and guitar with no bleed and wasn't lipsynched?
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thanks
    If you poke a mike at the guitar and one at your mouth, each will pick up a bit of the other, so yes, there will be bleed.

This ought not to matter. You should be able to get a credible result with two mikes used this way.

Thanks
    If you use 2 mics both with a figure 8 pattern there is almost no bleed. However you still will have to use the take whole take with the 2 tracks as editing either one will be noticeable. Its just by minimising the bleed you can change the sound of either mic without effecting the other mic too much.

I have also had good results using one mic out front of the performer picking up both, check balance during the sound check and move the mic so it pick up evenly. This method relies on the room sounding good and the performer being good.

Alan

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by witzendoz View Post
    If you use 2 mics both with a figure 8 pattern there is almost no bleed.
    That's one of my favorite techniques, but it requires a very dead room or the rear lobes will get a bunch of reflected sound.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    That's one of my favorite techniques, but it requires a very dead room or the rear lobes will get a bunch of reflected sound.
    I would not quite say Dead, but it does have to have a neutral sound with no bad reflections.

Alan.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by witzendoz View Post
    I would not quite say Dead, but it does have to have a neutral sound with no bad reflections.

Alan.
    I suppose, but then you're losing a lot of the isolation.

Thread Information