Recording Acoustic Guitar with an Audix OM7 - it is really quiet

Schackeline

Hello,

I want to record my acoutic guitar with my Audix OM7 Microfone. I use it because it is my only one, because I use it for live gigs.
My Scarlett 2i2's (3rd gen) gain poti cannot quite make it loud enough. Am I missing something, or is it because of the construction of the mic (very low feedback) that it doesn't deliver enough volume-wise. I have ot like 15cm/6 inch away from my guitar, that should be ok.

Do I need a mic preamp?

Also I cannot find a difference in sound when I switch the Scarlett on "Instrument" instead of "line". Do you guys know what it changes in the configuration? It doesn't seem to add more gain to the signal.

Thank you so much for your help!

Cheers!

Ffork in H Schacks! That is probably THE worse microphone you could have chosen to record acoustic guitar.

The sensitivity is (by design) very low at 0.8mV Pa and to 'de-tech' that the common Shure SM 57/58 is twice as sensitive at about 1.6mV and people come here and have level problems with 57s on LOUDER sources!

The other problem is that the mic is a hypercardiod and thus has a very narrow acceptance angle and movement of the guitar will result in level and tonal shifts. It is also a 'KING expensive microphone! (for a hheld dynamic)

I would strongly suggest a capacitor mic for guitar, better two. If I had the need again I would look at the SE Elecronics se8 pair of Small Diaphragm Capacitors. If you can only afford one mic and also want to sing at it maybe a side address LDC but DO check the specifications. You are looking for a 'self noise' figure of better than 20dB. Most decent LDCs will be half that and a sensitivity around 15-20mV Pa. A pad and High Pass Filter (bass cut) are nice to have but not essential.

If you are REALLY strapped look for one of the 'Neewer'/ BM-800 capacitors. Fair performance but check it the day it arrives because QC is not good. No brainer at 20 quid really.

Where are you?

Dave.

Also I cannot find a difference in sound when I switch the Scarlett on "Instrument" instead of "line". Do you guys know what it changes in the configuration? It doesn't seem to add more gain to the signal.

The line/inst switch is for when you use a 6.5mm jack as an input. The Scarlett would be expecting this to come from an instrument (e.g. an electric guitar) or from a device (e.g. a CD player or such like) that has a line level output. The switch provides for the different signal strengths these things have. The switch has no effect on a mike plugged into the XLR input.

"Also I cannot find a difference in sound when I switch the Scarlett on "Instrument" instead of "line". Do you guys know what it changes in the configuration? It doesn't seem to add more gain to the signal."

Forgot about this! When you use the XLR input the Instru/Line switch will have no effect because that is connected to the jack input in the centre of the 'combi' XLR connector.

You would use a TS mono jack into that for an electric guitar and then select Instrument often aka 'High Impedance" (or often the annoying "Hi" Z) input.

Dave. (sorry Gecks. Toes trodden upon! Just like to add that the OM7 is widely recognized as one of the best vocal mics for feedback suppression.)

Thank you very much! I am still at the beginning, so that feedback is more than welcome.

If you are stuck with that microphone, what peaks are you getting when you record? peaks of -12 are what I aim for when I play normally, -18 is fine also but I personally wouldn't. Maybe you just think you are not recording a hot enough signal when you really are?

Unless..... of course you are actually plugging your mic into the jacks Line in/instr socket, you are using the XLR to XLR cable and plugging straight into the interface right?

Unfortunately I have had issues with my scarlett 18i20, possibly the same pre-amps, I just have not got enough umpf in those pre-amps to run those hungry mics like my Rb500 Ribbon. So I use an ArtTubeMP to give it a boost on the way in.

With the om7 the recording is when picking around -20, when strumming it is around -14 with absolut peaks on -10. The gain poti on the Scarlett 2i2 is turned all the way up. I am not sure if it is enough.

Yeah, the recording sound of the OM7 wasn't that great either apart from the low signal. All the explanations made it more clear. The OM7 is a really great stage mic, so it was an investment for this scenario which I don't regret. I figured you can't have both... ;)

I had a bit of Money to spare and invested in one Behringer B5. It looked like a better alternative for a reasonable price. I am curious if it will work without a pre-amp. And I am curious if the guitar still sounds good because my working-room here isn't prepared in any way to sound good. And I want to try it out with one mic before I invest in another one for a more optimal recording.

With the om7 the recording is when picking around -20, when strumming it is around -14 with absolut peaks on -10. The gain poti on the Scarlett 2i2 is turned all the way up. I am not sure if it is enough.

Yeah, the recording sound of the OM7 wasn't that great either apart from the low signal. All the explanations made it more clear. The OM7 is a really great stage mic, so it was an investment for this scenario which I don't regret. I figured you can't have both... ;)

I had a bit of Money to spare and invested in one Behringer B5. It looked like a better alternative for a reasonable price. I am curious if it will work without a pre-amp. And I am curious if the guitar still sounds good because my working-room here isn't prepared in any way to sound good. And I want to try it out with one mic before I invest in another one for a more optimal recording.

Waaaaaay better! Do do it soon and post a clip! I might then send one to my lad in Farnce!

As promised, son on classical guitar in his flat in France.

He has been working on this piece and others for some time and says this about his best take with fewest fluffs. Recorded with a 40 quid LDC USB mic. He has nothing else save a '57 and that is just too insensitive. Shame there are no gaps so we cannot really hear the noise floor. I intend to send him a better capacitor mic but don't trust French mail at th moment. Even airmail takes two weeks and costs a bloody fortune and parcel sent two months ago has never arrived.

He is stuck at the moment with no internet, has a mobile but just a bit of a chat with me an his mum and TTlk take a tenner off me!

Dave.

Attachments

• Bach BWV 997.mp3
    2.8 MB · Views: 32
Back