Recording acoustic guitar

Basement29

Hi,
I am used to record my electric guitars with a mic (Shure SM57) connected to my Steinberg UR22 and this to the ipad, and the resut is ok.
But it’s not the same with my acoustic guitar. The sound is quite low and poor and finally I have to connect the guitar directly to the interface.
Is this normal? Do you also record the acoustic guitar directly connected to the interface?
Thanks

Hi,
That sounds normal enough. SM57 is a dynamic microphone with relative low sensitivity so it's fine for loud or very close sources but not so hot for quieter or farther-away sources.

With a high-gain preamp, or close-miking, there's no reason you can't use a 57 but generally, and particularly with budget interfaces, it's better to use a condenser (capacitor) microphone.

You can record direct if the acoustic has a pickup or internal microphone but that has its own unique sound; It might not be what you want to hear.

You definitely don't want to use a 57 to record that acoustic. Use the condenser. And that is just for starters. You need to place it correctly to get decent sound.

Back