Record what you hear...

itsme1234

If anyone ever owned a Creative Audigy card you know that they have the ability to record whatever you hear coming out of your speakers.

Does anyone know of any ways to do this with other sound cards?
Maybe someones knows of a program that can do this? I did find one program
called Audacity but I couldnt get it to work. I am trying to get this feature working with my Tascam FW1082 sound card.

any feedback is appretiated.
Thanks

Not familiar with the TASCAM, but on my interface (Audiophile 24/96) I can just set the track input to [Device name] Mixer In L/R

Might be similar to yours.

If it's possible with your interface you shouldn't need any software (except a recording app of course) to record 'What U Hear'.

Thanks for the replies. with my tascam I can record from any of my inputs that I select from within a recording app, but the purpose of the Record What You Hear is great for recording sounds generated from within the PC such as internet radio. Also, it saves you the time of going into a recording app such as cubase and seting up a recording to record something simple like an idea you might have that you want to record real quick before you forget.

i can do it in reaper with my m-audio card. i set 'mixer in left / mixer in right' as the stereo source for a track and turn off record monitoring to prevent a feedback loop. the routing in reaper is excellent.

itsme1234 said:
Also, thanks for the links, but I should have mentioned that Im using Windows XP.

sorry i should of asked
when i comes to audio i assume that people are using macs (still to meet someone whos serious in Real, ie not on the net, life that uses a PC)

any way just google it youll find something just make sure you put in XP into your search :D

Yeah, I have the Audigy also and love that Record What You Hear feature, use it for recording songs off of iTunes Radio stations and such with Audacity. It's a great feature because you can then export them right to an mp3 file if you want the whole song or chop it up into WAV samples to use with whatever sequencer programs you are using.

But have not been able to find a program that let's me record directly what's coming out of my speakers with my laptop's sound card without hooking up the Audigy USB box. If you find anything let me know and I'll do the same.

Back