Record more than two externals mics into separate tracks with Tascam DR-40

HungerArtist

Tascam DR-40 has two external mic inputs. I believe I can record two stereo tracks on each input. I've been plugging in an XLR microphone into each of the two inputs and recording a podcast with two people. Then adjusting the audio in post.

But now we have a third person. I would like to add a third mic such that I get a separate (mono) track recorded for them as well. I imagine it's possible to "split" one of the inputs to the DR-40 such that one mic records to the left channel, and the second to the right channel. Is it possible? What's the (physically) smallest device that can achieve that? I know a mixer probably can, but that requires dragging around a mixer.

Sorry if my question is missing an obvious approach, I'm a beginner to this. Because the podcast is on the move, I'm looking for the smallest solution. The podcast is up at Take It Uneasy (dot com or iTunes) (one episode is up) if you want to listen to the sound. It's taped in a gym.

PS: This question is not limited to the DR-40, it's just what I'm working with. Any recorder with two mic inputs can probably be served by the answer to this question.

You could record using the built in mics and the external mics at the same time. [see page 52 of the manual]

I know that much, but I was looking for a way to do it with external mics, but for the 3 person podcast situation that's actually perfect. Thank you.

Back