recommended new microphone or preamp with "color"

dayexday

RIght now I have a studio projects C1 microphone and VTB1 amplifier but might need to replace one or both. I'm an amateur that does music for fun, posts videos on youtube. Have a below average singing voice and am not an audio engineer/mixer at all. So I was thinking that getting equipment that would "color" my voice in whatever positive way possible would be ideal. I'm open to spending up to $500 each for a mic/preamp. My voice is like Sufjan Stevens in that it doesn't really hit any high notes or have a big range. Actually, if you have a minute, here's a link where you can hear it: forest hills queens! - YouTube

Any suggestions?

mxl V67 is a condenser that is a bit colored in that it's not super hyped. It is advertised as having a vintage vibe, voiced like a tube mic. (This is just advertising though, You can check out the sound on youtube.com)

Have you tried plugins first? There is no magic mic or preamp that will make a bad tone sound good.

I agree with this. Further, it's much better IMO to record everything clean and flat, then add "color" to taste while mixing when you can hear everything in context. That's what plug-ins are for!

--Ethan

i'm definitely open to any plugins. My thinking is that i'm not an audio engineer so don't know what I'm doing so less I do the better. As for no magic mic/amp turning a bad tone into a good one, obviously i know that, wasn't really necessary to say. My thinking is if there's a way to maximize the quality of my particular vocal tone.

Back