Recommendation for a solid basic mixer for headphone mix?

brassplyer

Looking for recommendations for a basic mixer for a headphone mix. Really only need a 2 channel - for a setup like this:

Would you consider the Yamaha mixer in the video to be as good as anything? Is there something you like better?

Thanks!

In general, the Yamaha seems adequate. But if you're doing something out of the ordinary that you haven't mentioned, you might need something bigger.

Is this for live or studio? Is this just a "more me" setup?

The Rolls PM50S can do that in a smaller package. It has the XLR split built in, but no reverb. The PM351 can do a mic and an instrument. Rolls also sells mic stand brackets for them.

Access to this page has been denied.

Access to this page has been denied.

(The links work despite saying "Access denied." That just means the forum can't access info like the device description from B&H.)

In general, the Yamaha seems adequate. But if you're doing something out of the ordinary that you haven't mentioned, you might need something bigger.

Is this for live or studio? Is this just a "more me" setup?
Nothing unusual, just want to hear myself and the mix with ability to balance the two.

The Rolls PM50S can do that in a smaller package. It has the XLR split built in, but no reverb. The PM351 can do a mic and an instrument. Rolls also sells mic stand brackets for them.
Thanks - I'll check them out. I see it's also missing any EQ, so it might be a bit too minimalist.

A basic audio interface can do what you want, starting (bottom end of market, but NOT IMHO bottom end of the specs or performance) with the U-Phoria 204 (the cheaper 202 doesn't have the monitor mix control you want).
Maybe I've misunderstood your needs, but a mixer seems to be overkill if all you want to do is be able to record while monitoring and to control how much monitoring you hear through your phones.

If you are using recording software (DAW), it will probably allow you to set up a headphone mix within the DAW - a virtual mixer. It may not be as intuitive or hands-on as a board mixer but it will eliminate hardware.

As BSG said, nost interfaces have either a physical knob or software to adjust the balance between input and playback.

And even if not, within your DAW it is (or should be) trivial to create a group with all your recorded tracks whose level you can adjust to get a good balance.

No extra components are needed

Back