Reaper questions

new2mix

I was not sure where else to put this since there is not a reaper forum sections. I just recently downloaded reaper and I am trying it out. So far I am still very green with this software. There are some things I like but others I am not sure if I just don't know how to do it or thats the way it works. I am pretty familiar with cool edit pro. Like for example, if I want to add reverb is the only way to do it through the effect channel? how about compressors and eqs? I have run about 3-4 effects on about 8-10 channels and it doesn't seem to miss a beat. When I want to edit a single track or a specific section of the track how do I do that? I figured out how to add the envelope controls to the sound like for panning a track back and forth, but I can't seem to figure out how to change just the volume on a single section within a track or to add reverb to a certain section.

Also where is a good place to get some free pluggins that work with reaper and how do you install them. I downloaded some of the classic pluggins and can't seem to get reaper to pick them up. What folder do you put them in?

Thanks for your help

new2mix said:
I was not sure where else to put this since there is not a reaper forum sections. I just recently downloaded reaper and I am trying it out. So far I am still very green with this software. There are some things I like but others I am not sure if I just don't know how to do it or thats the way it works. I am pretty familiar with cool edit pro. Like for example, if I want to add reverb is the only way to do it through the effect channel? how about compressors and eqs? I have run about 3-4 effects on about 8-10 channels and it doesn't seem to miss a beat. When I want to edit a single track or a specific section of the track how do I do that? I figured out how to add the envelope controls to the sound like for panning a track back and forth, but I can't seem to figure out how to change just the volume on a single section within a track or to add reverb to a certain section.

Also where is a good place to get some free pluggins that work with reaper and how do you install them. I downloaded some of the classic pluggins and can't seem to get reaper to pick them up. What folder do you put them in?

Thanks for your help

you can set cool edit (if you have it) as an external editor in reaper so that you can edit it however you want and save it into reaper like that. or just use the fx chain and do "apply FX to items as a new take" , but split the track up into which sections to want to FX to be applied. then turn the fx off and it will leave the rest of the tracks alone.

www.kvraudio.com
www.dontcrack.com
antress.myweb.hinet.net

you can set your vst folder to be any folder you want. just go to prefs->plugins->vsts->add directory.

have fun and good luck! reaper is easy to understand once you get used to it, but it then shows you how in depth and complicated it can be if you want it to!

To edit a particular track, click on that track(to edit more than one track:ctrl, and click all the tracks you want to edit.)Highlight on the timeline the section you want to edit.Right click for options(copy selected item, copy selected area of selected items,cut selected items, cut selected area of selected items,paste...blah blah blah.)
It takes some getting used to, but is quite simple and powerful once you know what to do.I believe there are a great many cool keyboard shortcuts you can use, but I haven't delved into that yet.From what I've read, that is the way to go.
I recommend improvising a little project for the sole purpose of finding your way around.It's a terrific program!

read the manual and other help files for reaper. they're pretty well written and essential for anyone that's a little green to recording software in general. reaper's reaverb is an impulse reverb and requires impulse files which you can find on noisevault and many other sources. read up on impulse reverbs. a couple of good free non-impulse reverbs are freeverb and glaceverb. as flexible as reaper's routing is i think you could use cool edit as just an effects device if you were inclined to do so (i haven't tried it). the routing in reaper is unsurpassed.

kvraudio is a good gathering place for plugin developers and has a search engine for free and commercial plugins. vst plugins are simple to install. look in reaper's preferences and see which folder(s) are assigned for vst effects. just download the effect you want and drop it's dll file in the vst folder.

rtfm! :D

Back