Radio Transmitting effect!

DogRox

HI, I am STILL working on my project .. tho i can only work on it when i get free time.. and it seems to be going slow.. I have come back for more hints and tips about certain effects.. i been here before with questions and i really have to say you get alot of ideas and tips.. THANX for all your help!!

anyways here is the thing.. if anyone is familiar with the NEIL ARMSTRONG radio transmission on the moon.. "Beep.. Houston Thats One Small Step For man.. (crackle) .. one giant (cracle crackle) Leap .......... well you get the picture...:o)

I am trying to get that effect first.. to sound like it is coming through a crispy sounding mic.. and second to make it break up like that on random! My mic on my computer sounds to clear as far as that goes.. and there is also the ambience of the room too.. (i have tried everything to get that to work).. i have also went through my mixer and go through the computer using a USB audio capture.. and that makes it EVEN harder to work with cause it is TOOOOO much high quality clear hehe!

for the noise and break up i have tried that IZOYOPE VINYL (a free plugin) and that sounds like more of a scratchy record which is what it suppoosed to do.. not what i am looking for!..

I have tried distortion with many different type settings.. and that just CLIPS the sound and makes it unusable at all!

any ideas or thoughts are appreciated ?!?!

thanx all!

cheerz

Try a Megaphone type effect is you can find one.

For the crackle you can go out into the carport and sample a couple sparks from jump starting your car.

You might have to get creative to get the effect but a suggestion:

Record the single track, eq it to be reeeally mid rangey and nasal, convert it to an mp3 at a very low bit rate, convert it back to a wave file in import into your project. This should degrade the quality so that it sounds like a radio.

Record some static from a radio while moving it from station to station (AM would be the best).

With the two tracks side by side you could mute, crossfade and combine them in such a way that it sounds like bad reception.

If you know a pilot you could put a lavalier mic inside an aviation headset and record your voice over the intercom in the plane. That would be quite authentic. It's the same type of mic.

Good luck. RD

Hey Guys thanxs for the ideas.... tho i dont have a megaphone.. i have a horn form one of my old PA tweeters.. and i talked through that and that kinda gave me that nasally sound!

For the crackel i dont have a car so doing that wouldnt work

and for rcktdg and your idea abotu doign the smaple bit rate thing.. well i have done that to make it lower quality that kinda gives me a less quality speech.. which is SOMWHAT what i am looking for tho it tends to be to much less quality that i cant be heard over the mix.. like the whole HIGH end is loss.. .. and the high end is what i need.. specially to be heard over the mix.. .. thats why i was saying i needed to be like CRISPY hehe.. it is hard to explain.. but i think you guys got what i am tyring to get and have giving me some good ideas.. using a magephone or my tweeter hore.. and then with crossfading the static in seperaly i may get CLOSE to what i am ooking for.. cross finners!

:)

thanx!

I was acually suggesting a Megaphone plugin on the computer. But I guess a real one would do the trick to a certain extent. With a plugin though you can tweek it a bit so its not an obvious megaphone.

try a 9-volt battery, touch it to a penny next to an open AM channel on your AM radio (near the antenna). there you go for your CHH CHH sound..(this is how AM radio works, its quite amazing)

Kewl more kewl ideas... the walkie talkie thing may work.. i could find the MEGAPHONE plugin.. the tweeter horn didnt work as welll...

and the battery on an antenna.. . i have to give that a whirl never though of that either!

thanx guys for the tips.. will try them.. i knwo i am getting close now!.. thanx again!

I saw someone doing this today. They had one of those cell phone walkie talkie thingies and the guy recording went into the bathroom. they miced him and used the headphone out frome the other phone. The idea was to simulate a police dispatcher conversation and it worked perfectly.
I was impressed.

jake-owa said:
I saw someone doing this today. They had one of those cell phone walkie talkie thingies and the guy recording went into the bathroom. they miced him and used the headphone out frome the other phone. The idea was to simulate a police dispatcher conversation and it worked perfectly.
I was impressed.

On man..........I think you hit the nail on the head with that one. Perfect EQ right there for what DogRox is looking for.

Yeah the walkie talkies is the way to go i think too... i have one of them old radio shack headset transmitters.. and i put it on and turned on my scanner and that worked to an extant.. plus like i said before i have walkie talkies i havent tried yet cause my buddy has the other one at his house.. he lost his phone services for about a week..so he took the walkie talkie so he could still contact me! hehe!

but yeah that should work!.. i think thats my best bet!

As far as the actual crackel noise.. i did one speech in to the computer mic and rattled a peice of paper in it to exactly where i wanted the crackle noises to be, then i did the resampleing like suggested above and then added a bit of overdrive effect to it and resampled back to 44K that was realllly close to what i wanted since the crackle was in the exact spots as the orginal.. i think it would have came out better with the walkie talkies tho!. so that is what i am going to do next!

Oh yeah i also tried something else.. you know that bubble wrap they use for packaging.... well get a wad of that in your hand and record yourself popping it.. it is random pops like some will pop one at a time and some will pop like a handfull at a time..sounds kewl that way!

then i changed the pitch down and time.. first to 12 octaves.. that sounded kewl.. then to 24 octaves.. and it sounded sooooooooo kewl as sheet that it sounded like a war/battle field and explosions in the distance... it like had its own reverb type effect cause of the pitch and time slowed right down.. man it even sound like fireworks too hehe. some other ideas! :)

well going to try the walkie talkies next.. and wiht that other idea.. i posted before about looking for a background music like through entering space.. i have to look who mentioned the ideas in the other post.. but i have found the HEART OF DARKNESS game on the psx and listened to the intro.. and also i have the superman theme where the baby was in the space ship!.. so i think this will work now that i have ideas PLENTY of ideas to work with!.. thanx for all your help!.. this place rocks!!! :)

Last edited:
Have you tried just using a band pass filter? If you have any software or plugins that allow you to draw in the shape of the filter, try something with slightly sloping edges and play around with the upper and lower frequencies. Off the top of my head, telephones transmit 300Hz to 3000Hz so that could be starting point - try broadening it and smooth off the edges slightly. Once you're happy with the sound of the voice just run white noise through the filter to get the chh-chh sound. Add some crackles and pops over that and I think you should just about have it.

yeah the walkie talkies will work the band pass filter thing changes the frequncey of the sound but wont make a sound sound like a specific sound.. like a radio tranmissions.. so for what i did i used my headset transmiiter and my table top scanner and it recives it.. just need to hook that direct into my computer for recording.. and for the crackel i will use a peaice of really stiff crakley plastic.. that really rattles when you crumple it and use that during the time i am talking so i can make the cracking appear WHEN exactly i want them to match the original!.. this will take soem time but i think it will server its puspose.. i only need about 8-10 of them :)

thanx for all your ideas this was a big help!.. it is kewl to get others inputs!!..

cheerz

DogRox said:
the band pass filter thing changes the frequncey of the sound but wont make a sound sound like a specific sound.. like a radio tranmissions..

Just for kicks, have a think about what causes a radio transmission to 'sound' like a radio transmission. Why does AM sound different to FM for example.

Back