Is the Radial PRO DI good for recording?

Delmont

Just read an article by a guitarist who puts a Radial Pro DI between his Sansamp and PA when he's performing. Says it improves the guitar's sound.

Will it improve the sound of a Sansamp for home recording?

Thanks!

cb

Not really sure why a passive DI is going to "improve" the overall sound of the SansAmp (which model?)...since the SansAmp has a DI line output already...?

If the sansamp itself doesn't have a balanced XLR (again, which one?) then the DI first of all offers a convenient XLR hole for interface with the stage snake, and could help with noise picked up along the run, but shouldn't actually make it sound any different unless he's really pounding the DI itself.

The only thing I can think of is that the Radial DI loading against the acoustic pickup better matches the particular pickup he has than the loading of the Sansamp. Pretty fussy.

Unless you have exactly the same guitar and pickup it may not make the same difference (if any) that he has.

Alan.

The only thing I can think of is that the Radial DI loading against the acoustic pickup better matches the particular pickup he has than the loading of the Sansamp. Pretty fussy.

Unless you have exactly the same guitar and pickup it may not make the same difference (if any) that he has.

Alan.

OP reads, " between his Sansamp and PA ...." and from that I deduce the guitar (whatever that is!) is still going into the Sansamp. That setup leave the Sansamp with an effectively open circuit load, 140k is naff all, and that might IN THAT PARTICULAR SETUP sound better to THAT guitarist. It is possible for instance that the Pro's transformer is being driven into slight distortion.

In anycase, the PA is getting a balanced feed and that is a good thing.

Dave.

Sorry I read it back to front

No worries mate! "We" don't REALLY know WTF the guy is doing and we never get the full SP!

Son and I did a 'speriment some while ago. Drove the SPEAKER output of an HT-20 (R loaded) into the INPUT valve of a Dominator clone. Got the creamiest ZZTop sound you EVER heard! NOT recommended to anyone that does not have a good supply of pre amp valves and free technical backup! Not that any smoke or other trouble ever ensued.

Dave.

Dave.

No worries mate! "We" don't REALLY know WTF the guy is doing and we never get the full SP!

Son and I did a 'speriment some while ago. Drove the SPEAKER output of an HT-20 (R loaded) into the INPUT valve of a Dominator clone. Got the creamiest ZZTop sound you EVER heard! NOT recommended to anyone that does not have a good supply of pre amp valves and free technical backup! Not that any smoke or other trouble ever ensued.

Dave.

Dave.

Isn't this sort of the way Randy Bachman used to destroy amps? LOL, just kidding.

Isn't this sort of the way Randy Bachman used to destroy amps? LOL, just kidding.

Don't know! Will look him up. The only thing really in danger was the first triode stage, we were in danger of melting the control grid but this particular amp (actaully a Mersey Super 15) has a "mixer" input stage and so the grid stoppers are unusually high at 100k so it would be difficult, (but not impossible!) to bugger the valve. Some valve amps have stoppers as low as 10k and a few no stopper at all. You have been warned!

Dave.

Back