Quick Question about the gain on my mixer

4-Man Takedown

Alright, when I use my overhead mic on my drums (a samson c01) I put the fader level for that input at 0 (about 2/3 of the way up). It picks up so much signal that my gain needs to be turned all the way down or else I will get clipping.

The question is, should I have my gain higher and put the fader down, or keep it how it is, or does it just not really matter? I'd test it out more, but I can't really be playing drums all day because of noise issues.

Thanks for any input, I just want to get the best signal. I'm using a Yamaha MX 12/6 mixer by the way.

Yo 4-man body slam:

You might try a different mic for your drums? Something that is less sensitive?

Or, you might run your mic through a mic pre; cut the input on the pre and boost the output -- that might work.

Or, you might post in the microphone forum for some advice on drum mics?

If you are using a mic pre on your board, [is this what you refer to as "gain?"] then turn it off and just try the fader for boost to see what happens.

You do need to experiment so buy your building and throw everyone else out of it so you can drum and drum and drum.

Green Hornet :D :D :cool:

2 cents with a grain of salt

Hey there 4-Man:

When you say "gain" you mean preamp gain, yes? And the "fader" you speak of is the channel fader/op amp/pot? I'll continue on those assumptions.... :)

I think (note I'm no pro) that you're better off keeping the fader around unity (zero, the center) and adjusting the gain down as you have been. You want to add as little gain (and hence noise) as possible. Since your levels seem really hot already, you can get away with little gain.

I'm guessing that the fader would be a somewhat lesser-quality amp than the gain/preamp, so you want to avoid adding gain there if you can. (Under the rules of thumb of having the least stuff in the signal path and using only as much gain as one really needs.)

If you cranked the preamp gain and knocked the fader down, you'd be adding more gain than you need (and thus noise), only to knock it back down again at the fader. Seems counterproductive. :) If you keep the preamp gain super low (resulting in a low low signal) and raise the fader, you're adding needed gain, sure, but from the (often) lower-quality pot. Seems counterproductive. :)

In short, with my limited knowledge and experience, you seem to be doing the right thing-- low preamp gain, fader at zero. And if transient spikes are keeping your overall levels too low, you could try a peak limiter on the way in.

Everyone else: Please tear me a new bunghole if I'm off-base here.

Back