quick ? about maudio b8s monitors

lbcstudios

alright... currently i have the edirol monitors.. i found a person to buy em.. and im gonna put more cash out and get the maudio bx 8s... anyone have any god or bad comments about them?

and also.. to the main question... i have a digirack 002... could i just use the main outs on them and go to L and R on the monitors? im pretty sure.. just checkin.. and... i just have some cheap guitar cords for the connection.. would this alter the frequncy response or anything like that? thanks

They are nice monitors (I played with them when I was out in LA).

Also, since they have 8" woofers you won't have to run out to the store to purchase a sub woofer. :eek:

spin

I love 'em. Make sure you READ THE MANUAL as the "Acoustic Space" switch works opposite as you would think.

Pretty blue lights, too...

You should be able to go 1/4" or XLR out of just about anything to them. I would recommend upgrading to better cabling at some point...

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

The blue lights are worth the whole deal. Gives you something to focus on in the dark as you space out and get into the vibe.

awesome thx for the replies.. one more thing... do the monitors have a volume knob on them? if not.. wolud it suffer freequency change or anything if i ran them thru my benhr. ha 4700 headphone amp?

I'm pretty sure that the 002 has a monitor output on it...

My friend has one. He runs the monitor outs into his 20/20s. You should look for that. There should be a volume knob on the front for it too.

The BX8's have (uncalibrated but somewhat accurately marked) knobs. Mine are probably at around 50% or so.

Run a mono signal, adjust until it's dead center and you're home free.

JS -

I have a pair BX8s and set them up with a CD test disc and an SPL meter. The volume controls are nowhere near in the same position for equal output levels. I control overall gain with the monitor output on the mixer since the vol controls on the M-Audios are on the back. But they are very good, accurate speakers. My mixes are improving with them. And thanks, John, for advice on setting the level controls on the backs.

awesome i cant wait to get some real monitors.. 2 more days !!!

please tell me i made a good decision... i chose the monitors over the rode nt5 pair.. so im stuck with a at 4040 mono overhead... but i figured with monitors i could mix better due to better accuracy.. and develop my ears..???

Whilst you're all captive on this thread ... has anyone heard the BX5s? I have next to no desk space in my room and I can't allow gear to take over any more of my workspace, so I need some compact monitors. I'm totally aware of the shortcomings of this, but I have no options at this point!

It's between the BX5s and the Fostex 5" ones, I don't want to start another 'best monitors' thread so I thought I'd nip in!

Thanks guys, sorry for hijacking, we now return you to your regular programming.;)

i got the bx5's. they own to the max! haha.

really though, really crisp and clear. when you get em, you may be surprised with the amount of highs/highmids and everything sounds pretty bright in them...so mix appropriately - you'll get used to em. I love em though, my stuff sounds a lot better since getting these (compared to old AIWA home theatre speakres! haha).

they have a little bass, but nothing that makes your chair shake - which you may want. You'd need a sub with these if you wanted to do a lot of rap...I wish I had one. haah.

anyway, I just take my mixes to the car/etc to check out the really low end.

Been using the BX5s for over a year now. You really need a sub to get a proper mix but they work fine.

So if the mix sounds a bit thin I'm ok, and if it has loads of bass then there's a chance it could go on to blow someone's stereo? Are these the kind of adjustments I need to make?

In a non treated room you will undermix the mids and overmix 150 and below. I set up a parametric on the main buss to compensate which basically pumps up the bass and takes down the mids. Then when I mix things come out balanced. This really doesn't work long term though, because basically you are mixing in the dark. It gets you in the ballpark however.

If you want high translation you need to add a sub; low end issues are eliminated and translation is generally right the first time.

The mids are always a challenge on any monitor under $1000 and you just have to learn your speakers. The SP5s are hyped in the upper mids so room treatment is mandatory. Once I treated the room the peaking mid problem was greatly reduced. Bare walls exacerbate the problem so be warned. Foam behind the speakers and on the opposite wall behind your head. If you can put some right above you on the ceiling too, this helps. Doing all this resolved the mid issue and made mix translation better.

Thanks! There's a limit to what I can do in my bedroom in my rented house but I'll try some stuff. There's a very pronounced flutter along the wall behind me so I try to strategically position blankets on mic stands and often have to block the door with an old mattress!

Back