Question about recording

wolf70

Hi,

I am not exactly new to recording, but I am new to computer recording, so I hoping to get some good advice from some of the experts here. I would really appreciate any help.

I currently have a very basic setup for recording acoustic guitars and vocals and was thinking of switching over from my Yamaha mt8x (8 track cassette recorder) to a computer based setup and am looking for some good advice on what to use. Unless you can recommend some other low cost ways to record that would be cheaper, but still as high quality as possible.

First, I was thinking of getting a better soundcard for my computer and am looking for opinions as to what would be decent for starting out with for computer recording? I was recommended to get a Creative Emu 0404 pci card (24 bit/96KHz) for $100., is that a good card? Or should I look for something better? I don't really want to spend more than $100. for a soundcard unless it is really necessary to get a good quality recording.

For software I currently have Audacity and Kristal for recording. Are these good enough for a high quality recording?

I don't want to spend a lot of cash upgrading to expensive software and hardware, but would still like to get as pro a sound as possible.

Perhaps if I just continued to record to my 8 track and then from that to the computer I could still get a good quality recording? Or is it recommended to go straight into the computer, and record direct to the software, and just avoid the 8 track completely for the highest quality sound recording? I do like analog recording though, but I do want to get the highest quality recording I can.

I know I also probably need some new mics. I currently have some halfway decent sounding mics (a peavey and a no-name brand) but probably not the best for recording acoustic guitar and vocals. So any low cost but good suggestions would be helpful there as well.

Thanks very much for any of your expert suggestions on what are some good things I can do to get a good quality recording setup without going bankrupt in the process.

If it was an 8 track reel to reel, I'd say go for the tape sat and then bring it into the computer, but the track width and IPS of cassette just isn't capable of doing anything very good with. I think you should be able to find a an M-Audio Delta 44 for close to $100 if you work at it, and that will give you a 4 x 4 interface that's capable of delivering pro studio sound, at least to mere mortal ears. Pair that up with a DMP3 stereo preamp and you'll have a rig that will enable you to refine your skills to a point where you're getting recordings worthy of minor release. Of course these are just tools, and it's the carpenter more than the hammer. Each of these units are under $140 at Studica.com, and score way high on the value (quality/price) scale.

-RD

Thanks Robert D. That soundcard looks like a nice one. It seems to get good recommendations all around the net too. I'll be looking into that one. :)

Any ideas if this Audio Buddy Dual Mic Preamp package looks like a good combo, or does it look like junk? http://www.guitarcenter.com/buyersguide/page28.cfm
$99. is an attractive offer, unless they are really poor quality. Thanks again.

There's certainly is plenty to learn about changing over to computer recording, but I think I can handle it. At least I'm not a complete no0b when it comes to computers either, so I should be able to handle any necessary installations or upgrades I may need to do, which is helpful.

wolf70 said:
Thanks Robert D. That soundcard looks like a nice one. It seems to get good recommendations all around the net too. I'll be looking into that one. :)

Any ideas if this Audio Buddy Dual Mic Preamp package looks like a good combo, or does it look like junk? http://www.guitarcenter.com/buyersguide/page28.cfm
$99. is an attractive offer, unless they are really poor quality. Thanks again.

There's certainly is plenty to learn about changing over to computer recording, but I think I can handle it. At least I'm not a complete no0b when it comes to computers either, so I should be able to handle any necessary installations or upgrades I may need to do, which is helpful.

Wow, that's an amazing deal! I'd suggest you read through this thread though.... http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=168116&highlight=audio+buddy

I've never used an audio buddy, but it looks like you should check the couch for dropped change and go the extra bit for a DMP3. I do own a DMP3, and it's really very good on acoustic instruments.
-RD

If you want to get a pair of quality for price mics I suggest Studio Projects B3. They work well for accoustic guitar and some vocals, even overheads. If you talk to the right people you can get a consecutive pair for around $300.

Wolf70,

This is my first post, after reading the boards for a while. Just wanted to say thanks for posting the link of the GC deal. I spotted your posting at about 7pm tonight. I've been racking my brain over which preamp and condenser mic to buy for quite a while. I was torn between the vtb1 and dmp3, with a sp b1, for a step above the sm57 and fostex xr-7 (analog 4-track, for analog recording and as a front end to my pc) that I've been using for years to record, in combo with Cakewalk GT Pro, to entertain family and friends. I've had great luck with this set-up, and think it's all in just setting up what I have to sound the best it can. As you can tell, I'm not concerned with pro sound, only capturing what I do well enough to make myself and significant others happy. So, I was thrilled to see the $99 deal for two condensers and a mic pre, even if I previously considered them sub-standard based on reviews all over the net. For such a low price, I get quite a bit of new gear to entertain myself with for what I'm sure will be hours of recording pleasure. I'm gonna have a blast just comparing the sm57 through my old preamp compared to the new one, not to mention the comparison of mics. Thanks again. Cool place to learn about recording. Ciao!

Recording Accoustic Guitar

I noticed that someone recommended using the Studio Projects VTB1 for recording. This is fine for some recording but not for accoustic guitar, piano, flute, etc. - you will be disappointed with the sound recording, especially for stringed instruments, unless you use a matched pair of mics. You would need another mic preamp as the VTB1 is not a stereo pre amp. I recommend getting a matched pair of Rode NT5 mics (you can find them for $299, but most places want $399), with a preamp that will handle both mics, possibly the new Bheringer Xenyx 802 (about $80). Use XLR balanced cable lengths so the sound is not affected. Out of the preamp, whatever you use, if your soundcard currently takes a .5mm stereo jack, Y the outputs together and plug into your soundcard that way. This should give you a stereo recording, left and right channels of the two different mics.

If anyone can help with recommending software, that would be great. Can't recommend anything at the moment.

Back