problem with inserts (hopefully i'm the problem...)

osus

okay, i'm trying to record my band practices, we use a PA and i'm trying to get seperate tracks using the inserts on the mixer, can't get it work quite right. here's the setup real quick:

sax (mic), vocals (2 mics), keyboards (2) plugged into Ross Systems PA, inserts connected to M-audio Delta 1010, connected to a PC running Adobe Audition.

i've tried two different things so far with two different wrong results

1) Plugged 1/4 cables one click into mixer insert and two clicks into delta 1010. this bleeds some of the signal from the PA mains and monitors but the delta doesn't seem to pick up anything--recordings are silent.

2) Plugged 1/4 inch cables two clicks into mixer insert and two clicks into delta 1010. recording works fine now, but the PA mains dissappear--which makes sense if the monitors are pre-insert.

i'm trying to get the mains not to get cut out of the picture. i was under the impression that condition # 1 would do it, based on having read a bunch of threads on this site. i.e, that clicking the 1/4" cables into the insert only one click would pull half the signal out but leave the other half alone to move on to the main outputs on the mixer. am i just totally wrong-headed?

Try using unbalanced TS (two conductor) plugs instead of balanced TRS (three conductor) plugs when you use the one-click method.

G.

From your description it seems like the "inserts" are on a single TRS [Tip/Ring/Sleeve] connector... probably with "Tip" being the "send" and "Ring" being the "return".

I guessed this because you got nothing with the plug "one notch" in; but you got signal with the plug all the way in... but nothing feeding the PA. It appears that the "ring" is the return to the system which means that it won't pass "output" signal [the "send" does that] so unless you route signal to the "return" you'll get nothing from the PA.

If you go into one of the TRS connectors and run a wire from "tip to ring" [which will then route the signal from the 'send' to the 'return' while splitting it off to your recorder] that should give you the result you're trying to accomplish.

If the "insert" isn't all on one connector if you can scan and post the "insert" page(s) from the manual I'll do my level best to help you figure it out.

Peace.

thanks for the responses--i should have clarified, i am using regular instrument cables, not TRS cables into the inserts. should i try using TRS cables? the manual seemed to indicate that using unbalanced 1/4"s would achieve the result i'm looking for, but it's not particularly well-written...

If you wanna post the page from the manual on inserts then I might be able to give you a hand with it.

If you're using two regular "TS" 1/4" connectors then there would have to be a "send" jack and a separate "return" jack. If they are indeed separate you might want try making a cable that comes out of the send, splits to the input of the recorder and back to the "return" jack... without seeing the manual I'm just pulling guesses out of my bum.

Back