Pro tools first

jimfish jams

im about to use pro tools first as it came free with my audio interface ,
does anyone recommend this im guitar / acoustic and vocals, or should i change my DAW ?? thanks

I'll make a few assumptions here, like you're using Windows. It might be nice to say what your interface is and a bit more on what/how you want to record.

For basic recording of a couple of guitars with vocals, the ProTools First should be able to get you started just fine. If you get deeper into recording, and you find things that First won't do, I would recommend looking at Reaper.

First is limited to 16 channels, but you do have plugins, and midi to work with. There's no input monitoring, but if you can set up direct monitoring on your interface, that won't be a show stopper.

The nice thing is that any wav files that you record will easily work in any DAW like Cubase, Reaper, StudioOne etc. Things like plug-ins (effects) may not translate directly, but you'll find comparable effects in most all DAWs.

Update: I see from your other posts that you have the H4n. I know it well. You can do multitrack recording in the H4, and then dump those files into ProTools for mixdown. You should have also gotten Cubase LE with your Zoom, if you bought it new. I've got the H4, and have used Cubase LE a bit. It will work fine. You can also use the interface to feed a pair of mics directly to the DAW. I've never used mine that way. I would highly recommend using external mics over the internal mics. Besides being easier to place for recording, they generally sound better.

Good luck and have some fun.

what an excellent reply thankyou,
Yes ishould have looked at my zoom h4 better , in the box last night i found a slip with the code for setting up cubase LE , happy about that , my audio interface is a focusrite , im running windows 10 , without getting into the p.c tech closing this and looking , i remember from looking before my p.c seems well compatible even if it is slightly old ,, I know the Daws these days compress down well so plenty of room ( IM NOT SURE if i can have cubase LE and pro tools first both downloaded on my p.c ,, but there is no harm in trying,, thanks again

IM NOT SURE if i can have cubase LE and pro tools first both downloaded on my p.c ,, but there is no harm in trying,, thanks again

You can have as many DAWs as you like on your system. You may not be able to operate them simultaneously, depending on which they are.

Back