Prince's Recording Method?

_brian_

Specifically when he played all the instruments himself, does anyone have any information about how he went about his business when recording?

Did he record a guide track or was he into laying down entire sections of instruments as everything was already in his head. Etc

I can't say how Prince did it as he had more talent in one finger than I have or will ever have.

Here is how and I think many here do it. I either start with my guitar and get my BPM set. I will play the track to a click or a drum groove (you have to be careful here as the drum groove influences more than just a click).

Get the first cut about where I have the BPMs set, go through my core structure of the song, then I lay down usually bass (not always), then get my MIDI drum kit out and lay down what I think is a good drum pattern (I can't do the mouse tracking, I have to use MIDI drum pads), after I get the basics down, start arranging.

For me at least, once the basic idea of the song is down and set, the rest becomes more fun/journey/interesting as I am just now giving it flavoring. Little nuggets to try and create a deeper song.

Either way, hardest part is knowing how you want to get the song started, that probably takes the longest next to the final mixing, which takes me forever.

it's quite simple, he was a genius, nothing to do with the gear he used, there's no secret methods he used, living and renting sunset sound studios for years on end might have helped slightly though but he was unique, you'd have to ask engineers who worked with him who are still living.

Apparently, Paisley Park had recording equipment in most rooms, including (I've heard) the bathroom.

here's some more context:
Prince 'Piano & a Microphone 1983' Review | SPIN

How we made Prince's Purple Rain | Music | The Guardian

This is Google's cache of Page not found - Blue Room Productions. It is a snapshot of the page as it appeared on Nov 11, 2018 23:37:54 GMT. The current page could have changed in the meantime. Learn more.
Full versionText-only versionView source
Tip: To quickly find your search term on this page, press Ctrl+F or ⌘-F (Mac) and use the find bar.
Blue Room Productions Blue Room Productions Washington D.C. based recording, mixing, and mastering studio
Music Player Make a Payment
Services
Recording & Mixing
Custom Music Production
Audio Mastering
Music Production and Recording Workshops
Mobile Recording
Video Recording and Editing in 4K
Custom Album Artwork and Design
CD Duplication Services
Photography
Commercial Voiceover & ADR Recording
Digitize Your Analog Tapes and Cassettes
Studio
Bethesda Studio
Herndon Studio
Blue Room’s Artists
Album Credits
Price List
Blog
About
Contact
Phone: (240) 505-5544 [email protected]

What Recording Artists can Learn from the Genius of Prince
Share This Page On:
Tweet
Music Production / Recording Studio Washington DC / DMV / Virginia / Maryland
Prince in Recording Studio

By Jay Glaspy

The legacy and influence that Prince had on musicians and music fans worldwide are immeasurable. Prince is notorious for spending an incredible amount of time in the recording studio as a songwriter, producer, and collaborator. After 39 albums and countless hits, there are definitely some key points that recording artists can certainly absorb by studying the extensive and remarkable work of Prince.

Songwriter

During an interview on the Arsenio Hall show, Prince was asked: “what his favorite song” was that he recorded. His answer was classic: “the next one.” Prince cranked out songs like a machine, and his creativity was always in motion. He did not sit back and admire his work after recording an album–he immediately went back to creating. Some recording artists or bands record their album, gloat in their success, or wait for something great to happen. As a recording artist, composing, recording, and distributing songs and albums can be a continuous process if the inspiration is flowing at liberty. Prince did have access to his own recording studio where he was able to continuously create masterpieces. The point is to evolve, keep creating and strive to set yourself apart from the rest of the pack.

Producer

Music Production / Recording Studio Washington DC / DMV / Virginia / Maryland
Prince and Music Production

Prince produced his first album at the age of 19 in addition to producing many of his own albums and for others. He was a master on numerous instruments, to include the guitar, bass, drums, and piano. Prince’s music production style evolved over the years; he was always experimenting with different sounds and styles that made his style difficult to categorize (most critics categorize music genres). Prince’s mastery of the music production process was evident on albums such as 1999, in which the sound of the electronic drum beat and synths were becoming popular in the early 80s, to the employment of horn sections on the Musicology album. One of Prince’s later albums, Plectrumelectrum with 3rdeyegirl from 2013, was one of Prince’s most unique accomplishments as a producer and performer; he effortlessly fused funk and 70’s rock with an all-female backing band that resulted in a distinctive musical combination that is rare to hear in today’s current sound space of bubblegum pop songs.

Collaborator

Prince created a community amongst musicians and never looked at them as competition. Instead, he collaborated with some of the best and most unique artists of his time: Morris Day and The Time, Sheila E., The Bangles, Alicia Keys, Stevie Nicks, and the list goes on. Music is a communication process, and working with other musicians who are open to new ideas can only expand one’s creativity and overall musicianship. Prince definitely mastered this art form as well.

Prince was able to touch so many lives as a songwriter, producer, and collaborator. Anthems such as When Doves Cry were so unique and crossed racial and cultural boundaries. His genius as a producer launched the careers of many successful artists, and his collaboration with others displayed how selfless Prince really was as a musician. He shared his gift with the world and serves as a musician whom other aspiring musicians, songwriters, and producers can learn from for decades to come. So for the reader who is also a recording artist, who may have an unfinished album on their external hard drive or tons of Pro Tools session files that need to go to the next level, take the bold step and finish what you started. Pick up your instrument, get to the studio and lay it down. As one of the greatest musicians of all time did, share your gift with the world.

— Jay Glaspy, the owner of Xeones Bass in Washington D.C., is a focused, passionate, and driven session bassist with his own unique style. He has over 12 years of experience in session work, live performance, songwriting, and music production in numerous projects. With influences ranging from Tool to Prince, he is versatile in multiple styles from Rock, Metal, Alternative, Jazz, Blues, country, and R&B. Jay approaches each project as unique and strives to give every project 100% commitment to support clients’ musical endeavors. We’ve had the pleasure of working alongside Jay here at Blue Room Productions for several bass recording/editing sessions at our Herndon recording studio.

Email: [email protected] for booking inquiries or visit xeonesbass for more information.

A childhood friend of my old partner in musical crime had the opportunity to have Prince produce one of her albums and wrote 4 songs on it. I'll check and see if I can get any insight into his recording methods / madness...but as already mentioned...he was kind of "special"

That would be amazing if you could, really just interested in the mechanics of how he did it. Not into his secrets or what equipment he used as I want to walk my own path. :)

Here's a pretty cool interview with Susan Rogers who worked for Prince as his staff engineer between 1983 and 88...Quite a interesting interview both about her and Prince... Not exactly what you are looking for but definitely some insight into his approach and work ethic...I liked the limited to 24 tracks concept

Heres another interview of Chuck Zwicky and Scott LeGere, as well as Matthew "Doctor" Fink, who worked with him in the mid to late 80's...tween both interviews you can learn a lot...

Thanks for all the information so far, even although it's not exactly what i'm wanting it's helping to motivate me at least.

Hopefully people keep contributing!

I found this quote pretty insightful .....sound booths pfft!

"He always had a mic on a boom stand over the console for vocals. Every vocal you’ve ever heard on every Prince record was cut sitting in a chair at the console. It was just part of his workflow."

For the past 15 or 20 years, Paisley Park Studios essentially has had one client, LeGere says.

"That means he has everything routed into his SSL exactly as he wants. He was all of his favorite devices wired to the specific boxes that he wants; he had three pedalboards sitting underneath the SSL and he has his trusty Linn drum just to the side of the classic rolling Pro Tools keyboard. He can swivel his chair, start a simple groove on the Linn drum, plug his guitar in direct and then he’d have an SM57 on an arm, lean that over the console crank the mains and deliver an inspiring and emotive vocal and he’d track by himself."

An sm57? No shit? Hmmmm I track my vocals with an sm57 over my piano keyboard in front of my computer monitor...almost identical workflow :laughings:

Last edited:
I found this quote pretty insightful .....sound booths pfft!

An sm57? No shit? Hmmmm I track my vocals with an sm57 over my piano keyboard in front of my computer monitor...almost identical workflow :laughings:

Lol, from what I’ve read though Prince spent thousands and thousands of dollars creating his first album. No doubt using all sorts of super-high end gear.

I think almost every musician needs to go through a phase of buying as good equipment as they can afford until their confidence is solid and they can cut tracks with cheaper gear and have good results. They can accept mistakes and actually flaunt them.

I’m going through this phase just now, I’ve just bought some equipment - which for me is a lot of money - in my heart I know it won’t make a huge amount of difference. But, the important thing is I know 100%, I have zero excuses and if something doesn’t turn out right it’s me to blame.

For me that’s very freeing and motivating.

Prince starting his career swamped in all that high end gear must have really been ecstasy.

If it sounds good it is good.

Yep and "good" is subjective to subject expounding their perception and opinion thereof. The members here are a wide variety of characters. We have world class musicians and recording engineers who contribute here and the ultimate newbs of newbs just trying to get their feet wet having some fun and the rest of us fall somewhere in between. I'd never really looked into Prince's recording methods before and found his story very interesting. He had an incredible passion for the craft and a work ethic that plowed the way for him to be the success he was...He just knew what his purpose was in life and fought like a badger to fulfill it.. There's a saying about luck...The harder I work the luckier I get.

From what I have read of him my takeaway is less is more and keep moving forward don't get caught up in the minutia just keep cranking the songs....
When asked what song that he has written stands out as his favorite his answer was...The next one...That's passion, hunger to create.. a fire in the belly.

Back