Preamps

micky123

Hi Folks
I've just got into home recording so I could do with some help if possible
I'm using an SM58 into a Ultragain Pro 2200 then into a Composer Pro 2200 but I have no idea what the setting should be
anybody help please

Thank Micky

Please give more info as to how you are running these? Do you have an interface? How are you connecting to computer?

Preamp

Please give more info as to how you are running these? Do you have an interface? How are you connecting to computer?

Hiya I run the SM58 into channel 1 on the Ultragain pro 2200 then out of that and into channel 1 of the composer pro 2200
out of that into a roland vs 1680

Ok, so you are running a standalone digital recorder.

I am not familiar with the unit, but also am not sure what your question is. Also wonder why you are using the preamp and compressor in the first place. Do you have good signal already into the 1680?

I am only trying to understand what it is you are looking an answer about.

For other reasons and for another forum I have just done some tests which involve feeding an AI from another 'pre amp' in this case a mixer.
Way past my bedtime, details later.

Dave.

Hiya my question is I don't have a clue what the setting should be on these 2 units

Then you will learn by using them. There is no one size fit's all 'setting'. They are units that you adjust to your preference.

How do you like your dinner cooked? You could ask a thousand people and get 2000 answers.

Hi Micky, yes "We learn or die!" but there are some things you should know/do to get a 'baseline' setup and avoid excessive noise and/or overload distortion. To begin with I am going ignore the compressor unit. AFAICS it is not a good one and such devices are rarely needed in a recording path, especially one with the dynamic range of 24 bit digital.

A search of the Roland recorder's manual failed to reveal any operating levels. This is crucial information if you are to avoid N&D. I have however divined by certain assumptions that it is a "minus 10dBV" device, that is it operates at an average input level of 0.316 volts whereas 'pro' equipment OP level is +4dBu, just over 1 volt*

This lower OL would not be a problem except for the fact that you are driving (the LINE inputs I hope!) from a pre amp that DOES deliver close to pro levels (max out around +20dBu, about 8 volts!) The result of this is that if you setup the gain on the Behringer pre amp for 'normal' or 'optimal' operation, the resulting signal level will overload and distort the inputs on the Roland I am sure.

You may be able to back off the output level from the Berry (I am NOT wading through yet another manual!) but if you do I am sure the noise level will become intrusive. In a word, the two units are not well matched.
There is a solution. You can attenuate the output of the pre amp. This will allow the former to operate at its best level but send a reduced signal level to the Roland. Problem. You need some soldering skills to make said attenuator.

So,
1) Have you tried the mic straight into the Roland?
2)If yes and that was not satisfactory, connect JUST the pre amp to the recorder and play with levels to see if you can find a happy balance twixt noise and overload.
3) Forget the compressor, at least for now. It might be useful in the future for 'effect' but you do not need it in your recording path.

*If these technical terms bother you...GOOD! Shows you are at least reading my guff! Fact is, this recording hobby IS technical to some degree and, like Golf and Photography there are basic concepts and jargon you must learn. I, and others here can explain further.

Dave.

With your setup, there's so many gain controls. Gain on the jack input, gain on the compressor. Personally, getting the gain right in the preamp is the most important stage. Then you have the problem of the compressor. All the controls on these things interact, and change the sound, so basically you need to turn the compression right down and adjust the levels to give best signal to noise, then add the compression to the level it needs to be to sit in the mix. I have NEVER been able to predict this when recording, so my compression is always done afterwards and I record dry. Your recorder prevents you doing this, so nobody will be able to telly you set this to that, that this to this, and it will work. Far, far too many variables, so you have your ears and lots of time to experiment as the ONLY solution - sorry.

Morning Rob,
Yes, OP has too many variables. Now, are you saying that the Roland cannot apply post tracking effects to its recordings? (I am NOT wading through that 241 page .pdf AGAIN! Op can RTFM!)

That would be a massive disadvantage in this age of the DAW. I can see one solution? Dump tracks into a PC and use one of the free DAWs to process them but it is all getting very messy and silly! All the chap really needs is a modest (these days) PC and an interface. I can heartily recommend the UMC204HD.

Dave.

I don't have a clue what the setting should be on these 2 units
Up until last year, I used to use the Ultragain preamp and I really liked it and would have kept it but I was given a better one. I always found the XLR input and output to be the better ones to use and I often used an SM58 with it with no problems. I found all the knobs rather confusing in that I didn't have a clue what things like the octave bandwidth and frequency knobs did. But the really important knobs for me were the level, gain and output. What I used to do was just play about with all the knobs until the sound I was getting going into my recorder was one that I liked. Like you, I use a standalone digital recorder {an Akai DPS12i} and the on board preamps are fairly good but not sufficient to get a good level on, say, picked acoustic guitars. So the 2200 was great for me.
If I were you, I'd not bother with the composer pro. Just go straight from the Ultragain to the Roland and use the preamp level on the Roland to fine tune your level. You should be able to effect the signal in the Roland afterwards. Just make sure that you don't distort/clip whatever you record.
In a way, some of the replies you've received are right ~ as much of a pain as it may be to hear it, you'll need to experiment with settings because as Rob pointed out, there are so many variables and you need to work out settings that work for you.
By the way, what are you recording ?

are you saying that the Roland cannot apply post tracking effects to its recordings?
I'd be very surprised if that were the case, even for an ancient mariner like the Roland. My Akai, which is of a similar age to the vs 1680 can do that and it was used on the ark with Noah to get stereo recordings of the elephants !

Back