Preamp for recording Beatles type music

Status
Not open for further replies.
No.
I play for prescision. The accuracy is the difference. The gear sounds the same. I can make a clip of duplicate preamps that sound the same. I use the 2 preamps as a stereo set because they sound the same.

You want to play each A the same . You want repeatablity. It is about precision. Each take cannot be different. SHOW ME! MOST COMPUTERS HAVE A O SCOPE. SET THE RANGE AND SHOW ME WHERE!

LazerBeakShiek said:
Does the shoes one wears matter?

Yes and no. It means different things to different people. Are your feet comfortable?

If you royally screw up and select the wrong preamp for your MIDI guitar tracks you can still score groupies. It becomes exponentially more difficult with substandard footwear. Their standards, not yours.

While I do NOT understand your reluctance to "learn" something I do understand why you maintain that in a side-by-side comparison of several modern (for example) Fender DRRI amps that the sound of each would be very very similar in it's nature. And ,yes, it is a sound that the engineers and the sales staff at Fender have gone through a lot of engineering to achieve.

Now comes the crux of this discussion with many of the replies on this thread.....THIS sound is a homogenized version of the original sound these amps have produced for many many years. The Deluxe Reverb amp was introduced in 1963 with the Deluxe (no reverb) having been around since the beginning of Fender. I make these distinctions to simply point out that the manufacturing as well as the individual components used since the start of this amp line has changed considerably. The older, hand-wired amps did not have the machine built PC boards, for example, and whether you know it or believe it, it made EVERY amp different in sometimes subtle and sometimes drastic ways. Where-as the modern replicas are more true to one sound.....which is what the company is shooting for. As an aside, Fender ALSO makes the hand-wired versions which sound somewhat different that the machine built units.

This is true for every electronic circuit.

You not accepting this truism does not change this reality. The amps referred to in the Neil Young point were all pre 1960 Fender Deluxe amps....And yeah...as I said some of the differences between one or the other are not subtle at all.

In relating to your post about achieving a "Beatles" sound using similar equipment they used.....well it won't hurt but there are many other factors involved besides the playing,the arranging,the band itself....I can tell you this as a truth, The R.E.D.D. 47 built by Chandler is as good of a representative of the original circuitry as can be found and Chandler is a committed company that manufactures as closely as possible to the original.

I will also relate this to you, having used one in tracking, it is a beautiful piece to use and is capable of so many different results from the exact same source. This would be in reference to your A chord analogy. I know without a doubt that I can achieve a wide variety of different captures using the same guitar played through any number of the same amps by any number of people or the same person playing the same guitar through the same amp using the same mic.

But that's just me and 40 years of doing this stuff.

No...actually you are oversimplifying the process of making sound and recording.

You talk about amps having "tone" without anyone playing them...???
You want to remove the player from the equation...but there is NO sound without a player, so it's a critical piece of the puzzle.

Yes...we were talking about how an "A" always sounds the same no matter who plays it...at least that's what LazerBeakShiek claims...and that is SO not true.
You now agree with that, but instead want to talk about how an amp sounds without anyone playing it...huh?

:facepalm:

If you only knew how wrong you were in saying that every same model of a Marshall or Fender sounds the same...but I can only assume that you haven't played too many to know that they actually don't sound the same...because they all age differently.
OK...so what are you talking about...pulling two models off the assembly line...?
You guys are stuck on this "same" theme, that I have to wonder what is it that makes that such an important aspect of recording for you...?

Haven't you ever gone into a music store and tried out 5-6 of the same guitars...and guess what, they all sound and feel a little different, and I bet if you paid a little attention, you would find one that is the most pleasing to you.
Yes, ideally the same model of anything should be similar from unit to unit, but that isn't always the case...BUT...the important thing here is not just the gear on its own...what's important is how it is used, and THAT is where "sameness" goes out the window.

Where did you come up with this idea that I have said amps have tone without anyone playing them? Huh? Where on Earth did that come from? Did I accidentally post that or something? Where did I suggest that? My apologies if I did.

Let me see if I'm clear on this and break this down: Are you telling me that if you and I are sitting side by side, I have a guitar into an amp, and I gently sweep a traditional "A" chord at the second fret location using a pick . Then, I hand that same guitar to you, you gently sweep an A chord using the same dynamics and strings as I did......you are telling me it is going to somehow sound different in it's tonality with what I sounded like?

Look, I really don't have a dog in this fight. I don't even record with amps. I record with software. I just feel like this Lazer guy is getting blasted out of the water when all he is saying is that everything has it's tone despite all the outside forces of technicalities that everyone is bringing up that obviously goes along with it. But ultimately people buy Marshall's cause they want a Marshall. People buy Fenders cause they want a Fender. They don't give a rip about what room it's going to be played in, what mic is being used to mic it up, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. People want a Marshall for it's tone, people want a Fender for it's tone, etc. etc. etc.

And as far as the comment from Jimmys69 (no disrespect to a moderator - or anyone), the comment that its "not going to sound the same without the same player." With all due respect, that is the biggest myth in my opinion to ever come down the musical pike. I would explain but my post is already too long. And it's just my opinion anyway.

I want to sound like the Beatles - Learn to play the like the Beatles.
I want to sound like the Beatles sounded - Buy the gear the Beatles used.

Not that hard.

I think this thread has run its course, and the discussion is simply descending into a repeating spiral of unresolved assertions, so I declare it closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back