Is It Possible to Make Recording, Sound better via software

CatMalone

Hello,

FYI: Before I ask you, let me share, I've a home studio setup and create educational video course. May I ask you :)

Is It Possible to make regular recording sound better via audacity? I'm passionate to make my recording quality better:

I use MXL 770 (with double layer pop filter), Scarlett solo 2nd gen etc...

I did a demo recording at 3am as it was quite time and still I did remove the noise via Audacity (I do have Adobe Audition CC 2019 but a pro user told me Audacity is better so I'm using it)

Recording after removing noise via Audacity:
Dropbox - demo_rec_75%_gain.mp3 - Simplify your life

I Fixed the Audio:
I used a random software to make recording better but it just increased the volume, here is it:
Dropbox - modified.m4a - Simplify your life

Raw audio (in case if you are curious what I recorded here is raw audio, initial 10 seconds I was quite so that I capture ambient noise):
Dropbox - RAW_demo_rec_75%_gain.mp3 - Simplify your life

Any help will be much appreciated, thank you...

Honestly...I like your RAW recording the best.
Sure, before you start speaking, you can hear the soft whose of the AC....but the thing you have to keep in mind is that once you start speaking, that AC noise is irrelevant..

I would suggest you try some different mic positions, and face the back of the mic toward the AC (depends on mic polar pattern)...but frankly, if you are doing mostly spoken word/narration type recordings, you will get the most benefit by going to a different, better microphone that is designed for that primarily.

Shure SM7B or an Electro Voice RE20.
These are dynamic mics, and not condensers (like your MXL 770)...so just by their dynamic mic nature, they will eliminate a lot of that AC noise for you, not to mention, with them you speak up-close into the mic, and so you levels can be lower, and therefore will also mean leas AC noise.

Yes...these mics are 3-4 times more expensive than your MXL 770...but either one will save you a lot of headaches trying to "fix" things after recording, by letting you get the right sound when you record.

Also...Audacity is OK if that's all you are doing (spoken word/narration)...but if you are planning to do any kind of multi-track recordings of music, you would also benefit by moving to something more advanced than Audacity....though not really needed for basic 1-2 track stuff, which is what you appear to be doing mostly...?

Honestly...I like your RAW recording the best.
Sure, before you start speaking, you can hear the soft whose of the AC....but the thing you have to keep in mind is that once you start speaking, that AC noise is irrelevant..

I would suggest you try some different mic positions, and face the back of the mic toward the AC (depends on mic polar pattern)...but frankly, if you are doing mostly spoken word/narration type recordings, you will get the most benefit by going to a different, better microphone that is designed for that primarily.

Shure SM7B or an Electro Voice RE20.
These are dynamic mics, and not condensers (like your MXL 770)...so just by their dynamic mic nature, they will eliminate a lot of that AC noise for you, not to mention, with them you speak up-close into the mic, and so you levels can be lower, and therefore will also mean leas AC noise.

Yes...these mics are 3-4 times more expensive than your MXL 770...but either one will save you a lot of headaches trying to "fix" things after recording, by letting you get the right sound when you record.

I'd take care abut mic position and also considering your other suggestion: to get a dynamic mic

I came across a video which says: Dynamic Mics are Noiser than Condenser Mics? (ft. Shure SM7B)
YouTube

He actually gave examples by calculating noise dynamic mic to condenser mic by using 3 different mics. Would you please have look at it :)

Is it true that dynamic mic has more noise?

Back