Is it possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have to nip this one in the bud.
Did you read my post? The ONLY way to correct for differences in digital clock rates once they're in your DAW is to change the playback rate. Time and pitch MUST be linked exactly like varispeed on a tape deck or the speed settings on a record player. If you change time without changing pitch you're NOT fixing the problem.

Edit - For a while, some of my friends and I tried to play D&D online using a "virtual tabletop" software and one of the group voice options that were available a decade ago. On one of the computers in my house, the clock ran really fast. Like, if we played CDs or our kids games, it came out all chipmunked. When we were playing the game with my wife on that machine, she sounded to us like a drunken ogre and we sounded to her like pixies. It was frickin weird! It's not likely that two phones would be that far off, but it's an extreme example of what I've been trying to say.

Have to nip this one in the bud.

The last thing I want is to get dragged into a fundamentals debate, but it's not correct if you're saying playing data from multiple phones back with a single clock will fix the pitch. The whole reason clocks must be locked during recording is that they will play back out of pitch when replayed with a synched DAC clock.

Sorry if that's not what you meant...

That's not what I meant. Recording with different clocks the playing back with a shared clock could cause drift, not fix it. To correct for that you would need to change the playback speed of some tracks relative to others, letting the pitch change naturally. That would mean resampling the changed tracks, but not "resynthesis" or whatever it might be called in a given DAW that lets speed be changed independently of pitch.

..but not "resynthesis" or whatever it might be called..
It's never called resynthesis,al and that's part of the problem. It actually is, of course. Any time the term FFT comes in, that literally means splitting the infinite audible spectrum into finite bands and basically playing back enough sine and/or cosine waves for just long enough to reproduce the input sound.

The actual problem is that you can't be sure all the devices agree on how long a second is. They grab so many samples per "second" quite faithfully. But it one of them thinks a second is one sample longer than another, then you in order for them to play back actually in time and on pitch and phase coherent, the one needs to play 44001 samples while the other plays 44000 samples. That takes some interpolation, but no FFT mumbo jumbo.

Fuck. So now, instead of just letting the time and pitch change together naturally and normally and phase coherently, you're recommending to resynthesize for time and then resynthesize for pitch?!? You have fun with that.

The method you describe probably works fine when you've got different people recording different things on different devices in different places and/or times. It won't work well in the instance where different devices record the same thing at the same time but with different clock speeds. It will just fuck everything up even worse. I don't have to test it because I have both theoretical understanding and real world experience with all of the things we're talking about. I also don't really need you to believe me, but I do kind of wish you'd stop obscuring the issue for others.

The problem is simple. The solution is simple. All your fancy FFT fuckery seems simple to you because it's just built into the DAW, but it's actually a whole lot more complicated and a lot more prone to unwanted artifacts and it will not produce the optimal results in this situation. It is obvious to me that you don't actually have a clue what we're talking about, and I'm not sure how to help with that without repeating myself for like the fifth time in this thread.

Well, I think we did a good job scaring the OP away. I hope she got what she wanted. The rest is not pertinent and starting to spin out of control.

Thread Closed.

(OP - If you want to ask more questions, please send me a PM and I'll re-open it for you. Thnx)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back