Podmic static and mixer settings

WheelZ

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate thread for this question, but I recently bought a Rode PodMic and and Xenyx Q802(usb) mixer to have better sound quality for when i start streaming and making vids. No matter what i change on the 802 my audio sounds worse than the snowball i used prior. On top of that the mic produces an insane amount of static noise. Any tips on how to fix this so i have at least decent sound quality?

Make sure the lead from mike to mixer is ok. I trust its XLR to XLR?

Is the static noise present when you listen through the headphone output of the mixer?

Have you connected the mixer to the computer via USB or via a line going into the mic input on the computer?

It's xlr to xlr to the mixer but the mixer plugs into the computer via usb but the xlr input is slightly loose on the mixer but everyone that has it has said that wasn't an issue. I also don't have a headset to monitor the sound but the static is very noticeable in game recordings and in game communication.

Is the static present when the mic is unplugged?

How are you listening to material?

If you don't have a headset, you must be listening through speakers, right?

Where are they connected?

- The PodMic appears to be a dynamic mic which by itself should not create any 'static' sounding noise. Hum possibly.
- Does the noise occur when the mic is sitting still and no sound put into it or does it happen if the mic is moved a bit?
- Does the noise occur if you listen with headphones plugged into the Q802 and not connected to a computer through USB?
- Tried a different XLR to XLR cable. Funky cable could create staticcy noise
- Just to be sure, you talk into the end of the mic (end fired mic),not the side like an LDC .
- The Q802 preliminary settings..... set COMP to '0', all EQ and PAN knobs to 12 o'clock, FX knob full CCW, LEVEL knob CCW, MAIN MIX at '0'.
- While speaking at about 6" to 8" from the front of the mic in a normal voice, bring up the GAIN knob on the mic channel until the channel CLIP LED just flickers and then backoff the GAIN a small amount (depending on the mic sensitivity and the loudness of your voice the mixer might not get the CLIP LED to flicker. Set the GAIN knob at about 3 o'clock if this is the case).
- With all else set, increase the LEVEL knob while speaking until the LED's above the MAIN MIX occasionally hit the 6.

There isn't static with the mic unplugged.

I have a headset it's just not plugged into the mixer to monitor audio directly. I listen to the microphone through recordings of video games I play. Microphone audio is recorded to a separate track from the computer audio.

The mixer and headset are plugged into the mother board usb ports.

I tried doing what you recommended when I did a test recording my voice was deafening and the static/buzzing was very loud so I turned the gain down in increments its now at the lowest possible. audio is at a bearable volume however, the audio quality is still horrible and the static/buzzing is still extremely noticeable. What should I do?

Are you able to try a different mic lead?

Are you able to test the mic somewhere else?

If you registered your mic you will have a 10 year warranty on it.

Rode will ask for a sample of the noise if yo go down that path

I currently only have the one cable and don't have anywhere else to test the mic for the time being. I'm curious as to what I'm doing wrong as every review on both products no one seems to have this issue and the audio quality is great for them, but mine is horrible. So far everything I've tried has made no difference or just made it worse.

I currently only have the one cable and don't have anywhere else to test the mic for the time being.

Then we are at an impasse. It's difficult to narrow down the cause without being able to isolate possibilities.

Are you able to take a couple of pix of your set up and post them here. In particular, mixer settings would be useful

I have a Xenyx 802 mixer* and the microphone amplifiers are really pretty good but the USB implementation is not. This problem seems generic to all the budget 16 bit USB converters found in mixers (my A&H suffers the same noise and they swiftly changed to a 24 bit converter)

The problem can be mitigated by setting the 'gain' very low in Windows sounds. Go to Sounds and make sure the mixer i the default record/play device. Select Record then Levels and you will find I am sure it is rammed to 100%. Set back to 5% (yes FIVE) . Now adjust the mic gain on the mixer to give an average level in your recording software(DAW) of around -15dB and peak no higher than -6 preff -8.

16 bits, especially with a cheap (wtgr!) converter will never give you a vast dynamic range but with care it should be easily good enough for podding.

If these steps are confusing, come back and I will post screen shots.

*Lives in my bedroom amping up two cheap dynamics on the wildlife in my garden and has given very good results for over 6 years, 24/7.

Dave.

Back