Plugging a guitar amp directly into an interface

Schwarzenyaeger

Formerly "Dog-In-Door"
I tried reamping with my guitar amp directly into my interface today.

There was a lot of hiss and not a lot of gain, no matter how much I cranked it. It recorded something alright but it was unusable.
I tried every output of my amp into the interface. Is there a way to do this properly?

I tried reamping with my guitar amp directly into my interface today.

There was a lot of hiss and not a lot of gain, no matter how much I cranked it. It recorded something alright but it was unusable.
I tried every output of my amp into the interface. Is there a way to do this properly?

How exactly are you doing it?
Reamping usually means recording the dry guitar signal into your daw (maybe with an amp sim on for an idea of how it will sound later), then when you've got the recording perfect, piping it out to an amp and recording the signal from a mic in front of that amp.

If you need one guitar track of 3:30 length, the above means your amp is on and loud for 3:30, rather than the traditional way where you're having to have the amp loud for all your mistakes and practice takes..see?
You can get all the hard work done with headphones on without disturbing the family or neighbours.

I would't recommend taking any kind of line out from an amp directly into an interface.
You'd be better off just using an amp sim.

That ^^^^

The problem with reamping is matching the output from the interface with something that resembles a guitar pickups output. A reamp box takes care of this, but there are other ways. The most glaring problem IMO is that you lose the interaction of human - guitar -amp. When you're in a room with a blaring amp you get all sorts of beautiful little things like note bloom and feedback and rich harmonics. All that pretty much goes away with reamping.

But yeah, record a raw direct dry signal and sent that to the amp later. Going from amp to interface is not reamping.

Yeah....what they ^^^ said.

Put a mic in front of the amp...and plug THAT into the interface.

"I tried every output of my amp into the interface. Is there a way to do this properly?"

EVERY OUTPUT?? Do not EVER connect the speaker outputs of ANY power amplifier to anything but the rated speakers or load. Even a modest 50watter on 16R tap will produce some 80 volts peak to peak, easily enough to blow front end chips to oblivion. Then, once the chips are down (in muSecs) the amplifier will blow valves, possibly transformers.

Dave.

I've been reamping "normally" (with a mic) on Sundays but it's been such a drag having to carry the amp head every time. I'll just buy a wheelbarrow then...

I went

DAW->Amp->Interface->DAW

Guess I got lucky since I didn't melt anything.

Thanks for you answers, everybody.

Back