please tell me how you record soft vocal part and loud chorus in a same song..

istyle

and have them sound so good together
listen to this mp3 of mine
Brothersun at www.mp3.com/istyle
i recorded whisper with SM58( singing close to it ) into gina which is set at 21 into ARTtubepre ,set input at 8 output 8 and also push that button to boost ( i assumed )
and when it came to chorus i back off a little bit maybe half a footthen reduce gina to 18
but the chorus was boomy after i used WAVE compressor
though i compressed chorus lesser than the verse
what was i doing wrong?
or was i singing in a wrong way or my voice sucks? any one?
thnx

well, I havent listened to your song, but let me tell you how I do it. I record them on seperate tracks on different takes. you just have more control that way.

ametth

I listened to the song, I can't answer the chorus/verse part.

But, the main problem I see with this song (BSSM) is the loudness of the vocal. It's too loud. And not effected enough. It sounds like your singing overtop of a track, which I suppose you are of course, but it doesn't meld. Bit of verb/delay, drop the level, some compression and you'll be set. It is a bit boomy - too close to the mic maybe, - much bass in the vocal.

The rather dissonant background stuff makes this hard to sing over i imagine. For the chorus, I think your bit flat - on the first chorus anyway, maybe not so much flat.. but just not the right note. - better on the second.

Outside of that - funky stuff, like the minor piano melody line.

[This message has been edited by Emeric (edited 07-16-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Emeric (edited 07-16-2000).]

thnx for all feedback
Emeric you got very keen ears
yes i just notice the first chorus was a bit flat
last thing
do you think the synth sounds were too low their volume?
i dunno if i increase more of them they will fight with drum and vocal or not
i will see in next session of it and sing once again GRRR! very hard job

im not at all an engineer but i am a vocalist and ive found that for whispery, breathy vocals it is best to move back from the mic just a bit and increase the volume with a little eq but no compression, then move up closer to the mic for the 'louder' more bombastic bits with compression.I do this mostly with compressor stomp boxes. Of course youll have to set it all up in a way that suits your voice and the song but thats what practise is for. Good luck.

I assume you are on computer therefore you can level the vocal using the gain section in the audio track editor - select all the verse section and turn it up to equal the chorus section - then compress it.

Compression is the right answer...but it has already been mentioned.

One other thing that can help is microphone placement. The singer should get in close (2 iches) for the soft parts. (use a wind screen)and then back off for the loud parts... 2 feet or so...

Set levels and adjust distances.

Dom

Back