Please listen to this song and tell me how I can improve vocal quality.

BryBry

Hey guys, I am new to this recording thing. I recently got myself a Condencer Mic(AKG Perception 120), PreAmp(Scarlet 2i2), a Mac(with Garageband), headphones, a pop filter, and a stand.
I know Im not going to get truly professional quality out of this set up, but I really want ot make the most out of it. I guess I am asking what you guys think I can do to improve my vocal quality on my songs.

I haven't touched my room acoustically, because I am not really sure what I would do. So if you guys think I need to do that, are there any cheap ways to accomplish that?

I am a rapper, and I love making music. It's so much fun to me.

I guess Im just asking you guys to give one of my songs a listen and tell me what it sounds like I need to do to get the quality the best I can.

Fast forward to like :30 seconds in. That's where I start rapping.
Here's an example of my music.

Last edited:
I just realized when I turn the gain down on my interface it increases the quality a lot. I am a big noob here. So any other tips would be appreciated.

As you have discovered you do not need to record a 0dB. Setting gain and level to record in the -18dB to -12dB is best. Sounds like you may need to work on your 'ess' problem.

How would I improve my ess?
I just got to tell a long time musician friend about turning away a bit for the p' pops, and he was like 'wow that's so cool -and logical! ..How come I never knew!? :)
File under Lots o' little stuff ya pick up as you go ' box.

Last edited:
How would I improve my ess?

Don't make them... don't make them as long... work on enunciation.. turn slightly at an ess so you're not hissing straight into the mic... find and use a de-esser... work out where your breath is going when you ess and see if raising or lowering the mic a little will get it out of the jet stream... cut the highs on reverb if you're using it.... notch cut the highs on EQ if it helps and you can locate the correct frequency...

Report back when you've tried all of the above...

Back