Please help!: sampled drums

TamaSabian

Peruvian skin beater
How can I put sampled drums into a given song?? How do you build a pattern ??. I know how to use FL. But what if the song has tempo changes, breaks, fills, things like that. I work with SONAR 4 and every time I have to change something in the pattern I have to go back to FL edit, then export and import. A lot of work. I was trying with Dxi, without good results. The biggest problem I have is how to deal with different tempos and song lenght.

Thanks
TS

I would recomend doing everything in SONAR, unless you can rewire to frooty loops,but i had the same problem.

Get a sampler that is DXI compatible,load the drums in the sampler and play them via midi in sonar.Then record them from midi to audio in the same project,then move the audio files to a different project.So you'll have a midi project,and audio project of a same song.In this way you can go back to midi project and do changes there.

Or use soundfonts..If i had a nickel for everytime i say that.....$$$$$ :D

Thanks Pinachi. When you said play via midi, you mean play with my fingers using a keyboard controller???. If so, what about time keeping, I´m not a keyboardist, and when I play a bar or two and then press CTRL+L it doesn´t fit. I have to move one snare, kick or hat, most of the time I have to do it again using the mouse to build the pattern that could be repeated.

TS

You mean the timing is off?

Do you play to the metronome?

Yeah i meant play with your keyboard controller, then quantize.

You probably dont have the metronome on.It supposed to tick a note to the beat so you'll know where to play the keyboard.

Let me know

Yep the metronome is on. I think I have to practice this way until I feel comfortable. I´m used to play real drums, using just 2-4 fingers is not what I love the most. How do you build your patterns??. Kick & snare first, or do you play the whole kit as possible???
I was talking about making a loop of what I play for a bar or two. If I play to a metronome, when I convert into a loop it could be repeated as long as I want???.

Thanks
TS

I recommend picking up BFD. It comes with AWESOME recorded drum samples. It's actually an acoustic drum module more than it is a sampler. It's an amazing peice of engineering. When you insert it into Sonar, you have full control over every kit peice and mic. Or as little control as you want really. It also has various expansion packs available.

FXpansion

Last edited:
Thanks Myriad I´ll check this product. What about kompakt or kontakt?? It would be nice to have a program that could let you select a given pattern (let say rock1) that you can modify it as you desire. :rolleyes:

TS

TamaSabian said:
Thanks Myriad I´ll check this product. What about kompakt or kontakt?? It would be nice to have a program that could let you select a given pattern (let say rock1) that you can modify it as you desire. :rolleyes:

TS

GOOD NEWS! BFD has Grooves & Fills!!! You can just drag those into Sonar or another host into it's piano roll. You can edit to your heart's content or use what they give you! There are TONS of different grooves for every possible style. Plus you can import/create your own grooves. Also, you can use GrooveMonkey files!

Oh, and you can trigger it with a midi controller or even an e-drum kit/triggers.

Again, check it out for sure. Also, here's the forum for that company...

BFD Forum

Back