Please help to record vocal and back track using focusrite 2i2

teonguyen

Hi all,

Can you please help me to figure out how to record both my vocal and back track playing on my computer with scarlett 2i2?

I select "Scarlett 2i2" as main input and output on PC, then use multitracks in Adobe Audition 3.0 with track 1 for vocal and track 2 for the background music. I can hear both on my headphones but only my vocal is recorded and cant figure it out how to record both.

Your help is greatly appreciated..

Maybe i was using the wrong term. I mean to record both my vocal and karaoke.
When I selected the 2i2 as the main i/o puts for my PC, I listen both vocal and the karaoke on the 2i2's headphone output.

Where are you playing the karaoke track? On your computer, the same computer your 2i2 is plugged into? Or is it on a separate karaoke machine?

If karaoke/backing track means pre-made stereo track, you don't record it; You import it.

You'd open your recording software, create a stereo audio track, and import the pre-made backing track. (drag 'n' drop works in most suites)
Then, along side that, you'd create a mono vocal track and record the vocals to it.

As you're doing this you'll be able to hear the karaoke through your headphones.

Make sense?

Ys i played the karaoke track on the same PC.. Do I need to play it on a different devices (laptop,iphone, ipad ..) and using headphone jack to XLR adapter to connect to 2i2??? Thanks

No, I think you need to import the karaoke track into Audition as a new track. I'm not familiar with Audition, but there should be a means to import most any type of audio file. It might be as simple as drag n drop.

Then you would only record your vocal track. When you create a track for your vocals, be sure to create a Mono track, not stereo.

From there, once the karaoke track is imported, you record your vocal track, then you can mix down to a new audio file with both tracks combined.
(That's the super-simplified version)

Your first step is to import your karaoke track into Audition.

Thanks both Chili and Steenamaroo,

I finally figured out how to do it. It's basically what you guy had told me.

Back