Please help re: midi routing

Guernica

Hey folks,
I posted this question in the midi forum as well, but there doesnt seem to be much activity over there .....so i figured i would drop it here too. I want to use a keyboard to control a drum machine that is sync'd up(via midi) to a digital recorder. How would i route this, and are there any setting(s) particulars i should be aware of.

......thanks very much for any help here.:)

I don't think you will be able to have the keyboard and the recorder controlling the drum machine at the same time without a midi merge box unless your drum machine has 2 midi ins.

I'm guessing you want to do live fills while the drum machine plays the patterns while chasing the MTC on the recorder. Your best bet is to overdub the fills on another track and just use the keyboard midi out to drum in. You wouldn't need MTC sync for that.

Otherwise you need a sequencer or midi merge box to pull it off.

On second thought you could do this:

Key out- Rec In
Key In- Rec Out
key thru- drum in

That might work. It should allow MTC to pass thru to the drum machine along with realtime note data. Make sure that local is turned OFF on the keyboard or you will get double notes.

thanks a ton tex......
......actually, what im trying to do is this.......

Ive got a songs worth of drums that are programmed on a dr770 drum machine. It has a bunch of drum sounds that are controllable by the pads on the machine as well as some others that require an outside midi control to trigger. I want to be able to trigger those while the drum machine is synced up to the recorder......

.......does that make sense?

btw: im gonna try that second option you mentioned..... thanks a bunch

Back