Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Please help - To Choose Clean Audio (Loud Humming noise Comes from outside)

Thanks

Please help - To Choose Clean Audio (Loud Humming noise Comes from outside)

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hello,

I've a a home studio and invested in good gears, I create educational video course. Fortunately all was going well but ever since summers started, I've been facing an issue:

Someone runs an old era machine day and night, near my home and it makes "a lot of annoying humming noise which comes in my room and my floor also vibrates" Even at night I can't record (it's 3:59 AM right now). Also sound acoustic panels doesn't work at my place and also they cost fortune here so

I fine tuned a lot of other things :

I tried to remove the background humming noise using 3 different software's / techniques:
    1. Audacity
    2. Adobe Audition CC 2019
    3. OBS studio (used plugin)

and recorded a video.

Unfortunately I don't have studio monitors nor monitor headsets so when I listen to the post processing in my multimedia headset they all sound differently.

I request you if you have studio monitors nor monitor headsets, please watch my video where I shared 3 different test clips

Dropbox - Noise Removal-for-Forum.mp4

and please let me know out of these 3 clips which sound better (or professional)

UPDATE Jun 6
    1. The machine near by my home is now permanently installed so the vibration (humming noise) is changed and hopefully it will remain like this so I re-recorded, below is a Raw Humming Noise audio (this time it's very short so that it takes your very less time), also I made a few changes like:

a. Earlier I set the gain in my audio interface (focusrite scarlett solo 2nd gen) to 85% whereas now I reduced to 75% which is why now it picks up less noise (but now the volume level is decreased but I will see how to deal with that).

b. I use MXL 770 condenser mic, it also has 'a low frequency roll-off Switch' should I use it?

c. This mic also has 'attenuation switch' -0db to -10db should I use this (as I only create education video course where I speak to the mic I think I shouldn't use this switch right?)

2. This is the Raw Audio file with humming Noise (this time I made the audio file Very Short so that it doesn't take much time):

1. The first 30 seconds is just a humming noise and then I started speaking and at the background still humming noise is coming :
    Dropbox - _Raw_Audio.mp4

2. Here is the cleaned audio file (initially I showed, how did I clean it in audacity - first 30 seconds and then my voice starts)
    Dropbox - _Clean_audio.mp4

UPDATE Jun 9
    Now I adapted a different approach: I recorded the noise for 30 secs (I don't know what to call it may be it's not hum but surely it's kind of noise) and afterwards I started speaking something. Now I'm providing you "Audacity Project files" and also "Raw Audio", and the "clean audio which I cleaned via audacity" so that you can analyze:

Dropbox - _Raw_audio--and--Audacity_project.zip

Please share your invaluable feedback how to remove this noise because when I remove it via Audacity afterwards my voice doesn't sound that much good which is in raw audio!

UPDATE Jun 20
    Based on all the suggestions I got from Genius members out here:

These are the measures I have taken:

* I reduced the gain a lot, earlier it was 90% then it was 75%. And now it is approx. 63%
    * I used the pop filter
    * Kept mic very close to the mouth
    * Spoke loudly
    * Recorded at night 3am
    * 48hz sets in Audacity (as focusrite solo 2nd supports 48Hz)

First test recording:
    Dropbox - Final-Recording.mp3

Second Test Recording:
    Dropbox - Final-recording-2.mp3
    Note: here I was speaking Very loudly (with same distance)

1. Please let me know which one sound better? (The reason for this request: Unfortunately I don't have studio monitors nor monitor headsets so when I listen to the recording in my multimedia headset they all sound differently even if I get monitor headsets the noise which is coming from outside makes it so hard so please do a favor love you all)

2. Do you think I still need to do Noise Removal on these?

3. Do I need to increase the gain/volume in post via Audacity because it still doesn't sound like professional recording ?

Trust me it would be a great help and I'm grateful to you.
    Last edited by CatMalone; 06-20-2019 at 20:50.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 897 Posts
    Hi there and welcome to the forum.

Clip One sounds fine to me. It sounds like maybe the bass has been rolled off? I'm not aware of background noise so that's solved the problem, for me.

Clip Two just sounds the same as One but as if you were farther back from the microphone.
    I don't know if you actually were or if that's a side-effect of whatever your software has done but, to me, it sounds more ambient like someone talking in an empty room.

Clip Three is much bassier than the others and sounds like it might be gated?

One is the best, for me.
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

Thanks
    Of the three samples, I definitely prefer #1. The background noise doesn't appear to be an issue there. #2 is way too hollow sounding and #3 is pumping. It might help to play with the attack and release times to minimize noise but not be as apparent.

Do you know what frequency the hum starts? You could use a high pass filter with a fairly steep curve and get rid of it that way. Dropping off around 85Hz should preserve most of the voice but get rid of any low frequency hum. Record with no voice, using just the ambient noise to judge the effectiveness. When the noise drops, then add your voice back and see if it still sounds natural.

You might also try getting closer to the microphone to boost the lows due to proximity. You can then lower them with EQ which can help drop the hum.

Best of luck with your project.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steenamaroo View Post
    Hi there and welcome to the forum.

Clip One sounds fine to me. It sounds like maybe the bass has been rolled off? I'm not aware of background noise so that's solved the problem, for me.
    Thank you for the warm welcome, I appreciate that I'm grateful to you for sharing invaluable feedback. Here is my reply:

UPDATE Jun 6
    1. The machine near by my home is now permanently installed so the vibration (humming noise) is changed and hopefully it will remain like this so I re-recorded, below is a Raw Humming Noise audio (this time it's very short so that it takes your very less time), also I made a few changes like:

a. Earlier I set the gain in my audio interface (focusrite scarlett solo 2nd gen) to 85% whereas now I reduced to 75% which is why now it picks up less noise (but now the volume level is decreased but I will see how to deal with that).

b. I use MXL 770 condenser mic, it also has 'a low frequency roll-off Switch' should I use it?

c. This mic also has 'attenuation switch' -0db to -10db should I use this (as I only create education video course where I speak to the mic I think I shouldn't use this switch right?)

2. This is the Raw Audio file with humming Noise (this time I made the audio file Very Short so that it doesn't take much time):

1. The first 30 seconds is just a humming noise and then I started speaking and at the background still humming noise is coming :
    Dropbox - _Raw_Audio.mp4

2. Here is the cleaned audio file (initially I showed, how did I clean it in audacity - first 30 seconds and then my voice starts. I also added Bass boost to via Equilizer hope it doesn't ruin the audio):
    Dropbox - _Clean_audio.mp4

Please share your invaluable feedback
    Last edited by CatMalone; 06-06-2019 at 19:17.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TalismanRich View Post
    Of the three samples, I definitely prefer #1. The background noise doesn't appear to be an issue there.
    Thank you so much

Do you know what frequency the hum starts?
    I'm afraid, I don't have Digital Sound level Meter but In audacity I noticed earlier when my gain was 85% then noise level was high but now I reduced the gain to 75% so now it starts from -41db and goes upto -28db

But now in recording volume level is low!

You could use a high pass filter with a fairly steep curve and get rid of it that way. Dropping off around 85Hz should preserve most of the voice but get rid of any low frequency hum. Record with no voice, using just the ambient noise to judge the effectiveness. When the noise drops, then add your voice back and see if it still sounds natural.
    It sounds like a great idea, I'm actually still in a learning phase so do you know any Youtube tutorial from where I can see how to do this i audacity?
    BTW I also have high pass filter switch in my mic (MAXL 770) so I'd give it a try.

1. BTW The machine near by my home is now permanently installed so the vibration (humming noise) is changed and hopefully it will remain like this so I re-recorded, below is a Raw Humming Noise audio (this time it's very short so that it takes your very less time), also I made a few changes like:

Dropbox - _Raw_Audio.mp4 - Simplify your life

2. Here is the cleaned audio file (initially I showed, how did I clean it in audacity - first 30 seconds and then my voice starts. I also added Bass boost to via Equilizer hope it doesn't ruin the audio):
    Dropbox - _Clean_audio.mp4 - Simplify your life

Please share your invaluable feedback

Thanks
    Cat, there is a free Reaper plug in that works perfect for noise and hum removal. You can download a small suite of Reaplugs from reaper.fm. that work well in any Daw. reafir is the one you use. Kenny Gioia does the tutorials on the reaper site , and all over utube. If you click expand all , on the tutorials page you can find instructions for all the plugins. I've used this for removing Tractor and chainsaw noise from my neighbor.. and yes use the bass rolloff and db pad on you mic. Later ... mark

Thanks
    CatMalone

Listening to your files, the noise sounds very much like ventilation or A/C. Its not really low frequency hum (like 60 cycle hum or a rumble from industrial equipment). In that case a low pass filter is not going to be effective. The noise is much broader spectrum noise. In this case Audacity's NR may be the quickest and cheapest solution. It is designed to eliminate noise, especially wider band noise like you would find from converting a vinyl record to digital (it has cleaned up a few albums for me over the years).

Pulling the audio from your raw audio file, I seem this as the noise spectrum.
    spectrum-raw-audio-jpg

After processing with Audacity's noise reduction selecting 20dB and 4 filter, the noise is reduced to this. Noise is drastically reduced through the whole spectrum. You can play with the number of filters and amount of NR you need, then apply any EQ or processing you need to the file after that.
    spectrum-raw-wnr-jpg

If this isn't sufficient, you might look at some noise reduction plug ins such as Waves audio. They give you a bit more control of the parameters but they do the same basic thing.
    YouTube -Waves NS1 plugin

Hope this is helpful.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 897 Posts
    Beaten to it ^. I was going to say, having listened to the clip, this sounds like noise in your immediate environment.
    If you take your headphones off/mute your speakers, do you hear this noise 'live'?

Where possible it's always better to get rid of the source of noise rather than use noise reduction/removal techniques.
    Saying that, your original 'clip one' did sound OK, but if this is a loud computer fan or ventilation system that you can adjust, or move away from, I'd do that first.

If this is not a noise that you can hear in the room, I'd suspect maybe the mic, or some other piece of gear, is faulty.

I'd describe this is white noise rather than hum.
    That might sound pedantic but hiss, hum, buzz all sound different and all can mean different things.

It can help to remember that it's all relative. If you stay quite close to the microphone and speak at a good volume that can help a lot.
    The noise remains the same level but your voice, relative to it, is much louder.
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steenamaroo View Post
    Where possible it's always better to get rid of the source of noise rather than use noise reduction/removal techniques.
    Saying that, your original 'clip one' did sound OK, but if this is a loud computer fan or ventilation system that you can adjust, or move away from, I'd do that first.

I should have stated that as step 1... eliminate the noise if possible.

Also, if you are looking at broadband room noise, then the attenuation pad is not going to do anything except to lower EVERYTHING, signal and noise. They are useful when the incoming signal from the mic is too high and could overload. This is not the case here. Moving in close to the microphone and speaking louder will give you more signal, and with the proximity effect, you might be able to eliminate any bass boost. I've got several MXL mics and while they aren't going to beat out a U87, they are perfectly usable.

Thanks
    CatMalone

Listening to your files, the noise sounds very much like ventilation or A/C. Its not really low frequency hum (like 60 cycle hum or a rumble from industrial equipment). In that case a low pass filter is not going to be effective. The noise is much broader spectrum noise. In this case Audacity's NR may be the quickest and cheapest solution. It is designed to eliminate noise, especially wider band noise like you would find from converting a vinyl record to digital (it has cleaned up a few albums for me over the years).

Pulling the audio from your raw audio file, I seem this as the noise spectrum.

After processing with Audacity's noise reduction selecting 20dB and 4 filter, the noise is reduced to this. Noise is drastically reduced through the whole spectrum. You can play with the number of filters and amount of NR you need, then apply any EQ or processing you need to the file after that.

If this isn't sufficient, you might look at some noise reduction plug ins such as Waves audio. They give you a bit more control of the parameters but they do the same basic thing.
    YouTube -Waves NS1 plugin

Hope this is helpful.

Thanks, let me explain, earlier I reduced the gain (in audio interface so that mic picks up less noise) that's why It sounded like Air Conditioning noise whereas it was not It's noise coming from outside.

So now I increased the gain and noise is more clear now.

Yes I can hear the noise with my ears, all the time (at least at night noise sounds too loud because it's all quiet all around)

I tried low pass filter in my mic but that didn't do well (or may be it's already On because there is no mark for On or Off - left or right side )

Note: I agree might be I don't know in which category this kind of noise falls into but honestly telling you it's all coming from outside and vibrates my floor and I can listen this Droom droom kind of noise in my room. I also found that machine which is running out of my home has big old era fan may be that's why you call it fan/vent noise but it's very loud, it makes noises like: Broom droom something like that...

So now I adapted a different approach: I recorded the noise for 30 secs (I don't know what to call it may be it's not hum but surely it's kind of noise) and afterwards I started speaking something. Now I'm providing you "Audacity Project files" and also "Raw Audio", and the "clean audio which I cleaned via audacity" so that you can analyze:

Dropbox - _Raw_audio--and--Audacity_project.zip - Simplify your life

I believe if we come to know what kind of noise it is then you may suggest me a specific way to cure this audio.

(I'm again giving Audacity a try because I think it can do the job if we come to the specifics, otherwise I'd consider your suggested wave plugin)

Bro, I'm so grateful to you for your priceless efforts, I really wish to fix this issue so that I start doing my work, thank you guys, you are great, genius
    Last edited by CatMalone; 06-07-2019 at 17:04.

Thread Information