Please help - To Choose Clean Audio (Loud Humming noise Comes from outside)

CatMalone

Hello,

I've a a home studio and invested in good gears, I create educational video course. Fortunately all was going well but ever since summers started, I've been facing an issue:

Someone runs an old era machine day and night, near my home and it makes "a lot of annoying humming noise which comes in my room and my floor also vibrates" Even at night I can't record (it's 3:59 AM right now). Also sound acoustic panels doesn't work at my place and also they cost fortune here :) so

I fine tuned a lot of other things :

I tried to remove the background humming noise using 3 different software's / techniques:
  1. Audacity
  2. Adobe Audition CC 2019
  3. OBS studio (used plugin)

and recorded a video.

Unfortunately I don't have studio monitors nor monitor headsets so when I listen to the post processing in my multimedia headset they all sound differently.

I request you if you have studio monitors nor monitor headsets, please watch my video where I shared 3 different test clips

and please let me know out of these 3 clips which sound better (or professional)

UPDATE Jun 6
1. The machine near by my home is now permanently installed so the vibration (humming noise) is changed and hopefully it will remain like this so I re-recorded, below is a Raw Humming Noise audio (this time it's very short so that it takes your very less time), also I made a few changes like:

a. Earlier I set the gain in my audio interface (focusrite scarlett solo 2nd gen) to 85% whereas now I reduced to 75% which is why now it picks up less noise (but now the volume level is decreased :( but I will see how to deal with that).

b. I use MXL 770 condenser mic, it also has 'a low frequency roll-off Switch' should I use it?

c. This mic also has 'attenuation switch' -0db to -10db should I use this (as I only create education video course where I speak to the mic I think I shouldn't use this switch right?)

2. This is the Raw Audio file with humming Noise (this time I made the audio file Very Short so that it doesn't take much time):

1. The first 30 seconds is just a humming noise and then I started speaking and at the background still humming noise is coming :

2. Here is the cleaned audio file (initially I showed, how did I clean it in audacity - first 30 seconds and then my voice starts)

UPDATE Jun 9
Now I adapted a different approach: I recorded the noise for 30 secs (I don't know what to call it may be it's not hum but surely it's kind of noise) and afterwards I started speaking something. Now I'm providing you "Audacity Project files" and also "Raw Audio", and the "clean audio which I cleaned via audacity" so that you can analyze:

Dropbox - _Raw_audio--and--Audacity_project.zip

Please share your invaluable feedback :) how to remove this noise because when I remove it via Audacity afterwards my voice doesn't sound that much good which is in raw audio!

UPDATE Jun 20
Based on all the suggestions I got from Genius members out here:

These are the measures I have taken:

* I reduced the gain a lot, earlier it was 90% then it was 75%. And now it is approx. 63%
* I used the pop filter
* Kept mic very close to the mouth
* Spoke loudly
* Recorded at night 3am
* 48hz sets in Audacity (as focusrite solo 2nd supports 48Hz)

First test recording:

Second Test Recording:

Note: here I was speaking Very loudly (with same distance)

1. Please let me know which one sound better? (The reason :) for this request: Unfortunately I don't have studio monitors nor monitor headsets so when I listen to the recording in my multimedia headset they all sound differently even if I get monitor headsets the noise which is coming from outside makes it so hard so please do a favor :) love you all)

2. Do you think I still need to do Noise Removal on these?

3. Do I need to increase the gain/volume in post via Audacity because it still doesn't sound like professional recording :) ?

Trust me it would be a great help :) and I'm grateful to you.

Last edited:
Hi there and welcome to the forum. :)

Clip One sounds fine to me. It sounds like maybe the bass has been rolled off? I'm not aware of background noise so that's solved the problem, for me.

Clip Two just sounds the same as One but as if you were farther back from the microphone.
I don't know if you actually were or if that's a side-effect of whatever your software has done but, to me, it sounds more ambient like someone talking in an empty room.

Clip Three is much bassier than the others and sounds like it might be gated?

One is the best, for me.

Of the three samples, I definitely prefer #1. The background noise doesn't appear to be an issue there. #2 is way too hollow sounding and #3 is pumping. It might help to play with the attack and release times to minimize noise but not be as apparent.

Do you know what frequency the hum starts? You could use a high pass filter with a fairly steep curve and get rid of it that way. Dropping off around 85Hz should preserve most of the voice but get rid of any low frequency hum. Record with no voice, using just the ambient noise to judge the effectiveness. When the noise drops, then add your voice back and see if it still sounds natural.

You might also try getting closer to the microphone to boost the lows due to proximity. You can then lower them with EQ which can help drop the hum.

Best of luck with your project.

Hi there and welcome to the forum. :)

Clip One sounds fine to me. It sounds like maybe the bass has been rolled off? I'm not aware of background noise so that's solved the problem, for me.

Thank you for the warm welcome, I appreciate that :) I'm grateful to you for sharing invaluable feedback. Here is my reply:

UPDATE Jun 6
1. The machine near by my home is now permanently installed so the vibration (humming noise) is changed and hopefully it will remain like this so I re-recorded, below is a Raw Humming Noise audio (this time it's very short so that it takes your very less time), also I made a few changes like:

a. Earlier I set the gain in my audio interface (focusrite scarlett solo 2nd gen) to 85% whereas now I reduced to 75% which is why now it picks up less noise (but now the volume level is decreased but I will see how to deal with that).

b. I use MXL 770 condenser mic, it also has 'a low frequency roll-off Switch' should I use it?

c. This mic also has 'attenuation switch' -0db to -10db should I use this (as I only create education video course where I speak to the mic I think I shouldn't use this switch right?)

2. This is the Raw Audio file with humming Noise (this time I made the audio file Very Short so that it doesn't take much time):

1. The first 30 seconds is just a humming noise and then I started speaking and at the background still humming noise is coming :

2. Here is the cleaned audio file (initially I showed, how did I clean it in audacity - first 30 seconds and then my voice starts. I also added Bass boost to via Equilizer hope it doesn't ruin the audio):

Please share your invaluable feedback :)

Last edited:
Of the three samples, I definitely prefer #1. The background noise doesn't appear to be an issue there.
Thank you so much :)

Do you know what frequency the hum starts?
I'm afraid, I don't have Digital Sound level Meter but In audacity I noticed earlier when my gain was 85% then noise level was high but now I reduced the gain to 75% so now it starts from -41db and goes upto -28db

But now in recording volume level is low!

You could use a high pass filter with a fairly steep curve and get rid of it that way. Dropping off around 85Hz should preserve most of the voice but get rid of any low frequency hum. Record with no voice, using just the ambient noise to judge the effectiveness. When the noise drops, then add your voice back and see if it still sounds natural.

It sounds like a great idea, I'm actually still in a learning phase so do you know any Youtube tutorial from where I can see how to do this i audacity?
BTW I also have high pass filter switch in my mic (MAXL 770) so I'd give it a try.

1. BTW The machine near by my home is now permanently installed so the vibration (humming noise) is changed and hopefully it will remain like this so I re-recorded, below is a Raw Humming Noise audio (this time it's very short so that it takes your very less time), also I made a few changes like:

Dropbox - _Raw_Audio.mp4 - Simplify your life

2. Here is the cleaned audio file (initially I showed, how did I clean it in audacity - first 30 seconds and then my voice starts. I also added Bass boost to via Equilizer hope it doesn't ruin the audio):
Dropbox - _Clean_audio.mp4 - Simplify your life

Please share your invaluable feedback

Cat, there is a free Reaper plug in that works perfect for noise and hum removal. You can download a small suite of Reaplugs from reaper.fm. that work well in any Daw. reafir is the one you use. Kenny Gioia does the tutorials on the reaper site , and all over utube. If you click expand all , on the tutorials page you can find instructions for all the plugins. I've used this for removing Tractor and chainsaw noise from my neighbor.. and yes use the bass rolloff and db pad on you mic. Later ... mark

CatMalone

Listening to your files, the noise sounds very much like ventilation or A/C. Its not really low frequency hum (like 60 cycle hum or a rumble from industrial equipment). In that case a low pass filter is not going to be effective. The noise is much broader spectrum noise. In this case Audacity's NR may be the quickest and cheapest solution. It is designed to eliminate noise, especially wider band noise like you would find from converting a vinyl record to digital (it has cleaned up a few albums for me over the years).

Pulling the audio from your raw audio file, I seem this as the noise spectrum.
Spectrum Raw Audio.jpg

After processing with Audacity's noise reduction selecting 20dB and 4 filter, the noise is reduced to this. Noise is drastically reduced through the whole spectrum. You can play with the number of filters and amount of NR you need, then apply any EQ or processing you need to the file after that.
Spectrum RAW wNR.jpg

If this isn't sufficient, you might look at some noise reduction plug ins such as Waves audio. They give you a bit more control of the parameters but they do the same basic thing.
YouTube -Waves NS1 plugin

Hope this is helpful.

Beaten to it ^. I was going to say, having listened to the clip, this sounds like noise in your immediate environment.
If you take your headphones off/mute your speakers, do you hear this noise 'live'?

Where possible it's always better to get rid of the source of noise rather than use noise reduction/removal techniques.
Saying that, your original 'clip one' did sound OK, but if this is a loud computer fan or ventilation system that you can adjust, or move away from, I'd do that first. ;)

If this is not a noise that you can hear in the room, I'd suspect maybe the mic, or some other piece of gear, is faulty.

I'd describe this is white noise rather than hum.
That might sound pedantic but hiss, hum, buzz all sound different and all can mean different things.

It can help to remember that it's all relative. If you stay quite close to the microphone and speak at a good volume that can help a lot.
The noise remains the same level but your voice, relative to it, is much louder.

Where possible it's always better to get rid of the source of noise rather than use noise reduction/removal techniques.
Saying that, your original 'clip one' did sound OK, but if this is a loud computer fan or ventilation system that you can adjust, or move away from, I'd do that first. ;)

I should have stated that as step 1... eliminate the noise if possible. :facepalm:

Also, if you are looking at broadband room noise, then the attenuation pad is not going to do anything except to lower EVERYTHING, signal and noise. They are useful when the incoming signal from the mic is too high and could overload. This is not the case here. Moving in close to the microphone and speaking louder will give you more signal, and with the proximity effect, you might be able to eliminate any bass boost. I've got several MXL mics and while they aren't going to beat out a U87, they are perfectly usable.

CatMalone

Listening to your files, the noise sounds very much like ventilation or A/C. Its not really low frequency hum (like 60 cycle hum or a rumble from industrial equipment). In that case a low pass filter is not going to be effective. The noise is much broader spectrum noise. In this case Audacity's NR may be the quickest and cheapest solution. It is designed to eliminate noise, especially wider band noise like you would find from converting a vinyl record to digital (it has cleaned up a few albums for me over the years).

Pulling the audio from your raw audio file, I seem this as the noise spectrum.

After processing with Audacity's noise reduction selecting 20dB and 4 filter, the noise is reduced to this. Noise is drastically reduced through the whole spectrum. You can play with the number of filters and amount of NR you need, then apply any EQ or processing you need to the file after that.

If this isn't sufficient, you might look at some noise reduction plug ins such as Waves audio. They give you a bit more control of the parameters but they do the same basic thing.
YouTube -Waves NS1 plugin

Hope this is helpful.

Thanks, let me explain, earlier I reduced the gain (in audio interface so that mic picks up less noise) that's why It sounded like Air Conditioning noise whereas it was not :) It's noise coming from outside.

So now I increased the gain and noise is more clear now.

Yes I can hear the noise with my ears, all the time (at least at night noise sounds too loud because it's all quiet all around)

I tried low pass filter in my mic but that didn't do well (or may be it's already On because there is no mark for On or Off - left or right side :) )

Note: I agree might be I don't know in which category this kind of noise falls into but honestly telling you it's all coming from outside and vibrates my floor and I can listen this Droom droom :) kind of noise in my room. I also found that machine which is running out of my home has big old era fan may be that's why you call it fan/vent noise but it's very loud, it makes noises like: Broom droom something like that...

So now I adapted a different approach: I recorded the noise for 30 secs (I don't know what to call it may be it's not hum but surely it's kind of noise) and afterwards I started speaking something. Now I'm providing you "Audacity Project files" and also "Raw Audio", and the "clean audio which I cleaned via audacity" so that you can analyze:

Dropbox - _Raw_audio--and--Audacity_project.zip - Simplify your life

I believe if we come to know what kind of noise it is then you may suggest me a specific way to cure this audio.

(I'm again giving Audacity a try because I think it can do the job if we come to the specifics, otherwise I'd consider your suggested wave plugin)

Bro, I'm so grateful to you for your priceless efforts, I really wish to fix this issue so that I start doing my work, thank you guys, you are great, genius :)

Last edited:
Beaten to it ^. I was going to say, having listened to the clip, this sounds like noise in your immediate environment.
If you take your headphones off/mute your speakers, do you hear this noise 'live'?

If this is not a noise that you can hear in the room, I'd suspect maybe the mic, or some other piece of gear, is faulty.

I'd describe this is white noise rather than hum.
That might sound pedantic but hiss, hum, buzz all sound different and all can mean different things.

It can help to remember that it's all relative. If you stay quite close to the microphone and speak at a good volume that can help a lot.
The noise remains the same level but your voice, relative to it, is much louder.

Thank you

1. Yes I can hear the noise with my ears, all the time (at least at night noise sounds too loud because it's all quiet all around)

2. It's not computer fan or vent or Air conditioner, trust me. Neither I run fan nor Air conditioner while recording even it's 48 degree temperature here. All this noise comes from outside and my floor vibrates and I also found that machine has big old era fan which makes Broom droom noise, may be that's the reason you suspected it's fan/Air conditioner noise...

Let me explain, earlier I reduced the gain (in audio interface so that mic picks up less noise) that's why it sounded like Air Conditioning noise whereas its not :)

So now I increased the gain and noise is more clear .

I tried low pass filter in my mic but that didn't do well.

Based on your suggestions:

Note: So now I adapted a different approach:
1. I changed my sitting position
2. Now mic is too close to my mouth
3. Gain level is increased
4. I also make sure fan, air conditioning etc.. not even run in adjacent rooms (in fact in my room I already don't run em while recording).

5. Most importantly now I recorded the noise for 30 secs (I don't know what to call it may be it's not hum but surely it's kind of noise) and afterwards I started speaking something. Now I'm providing you "Audacity Project files" and also "Raw Audio", and the "clean audio which I cleaned via audacity" so that you can analyze:

Dropbox -_Raw_Audio--and--Audacity_project.zip

I believe if we come to know what kind of noise it is then you may suggest me a specific way to cure this audio.

I'm so much grateful to you for your priceless efforts, I really wish to fix this issue so that I start doing my work, thank you guys, you are Great, Genius :)

If the noise is from outside of your home/apartment and out of your control then there's no fix, as such. Just damage limitation.

The best you can do is
1: Get as close to the mic as possible
2: Speak as loudly and clearly as possible
3: Get the gain as low as possible (1+2 facilitate this)
and
4: If necessary use noise reduction or a noise gate to help with whatever noise remains.

Your original post Clip One sounded perfectly acceptable to me so, to be honest, I'd run with whatever you were doing there.

Put it this way; If I looked up a tutorial on something and that (Clip One) was the voice over I heard, I wouldn't be distracted or annoyed in any way.

As a side note, you have my sympathy. I doubt I could sleep with that noise. :(

Some localities may have ordinances regarding man-made noise and allowable levels. I used to work for an electric utility and a few substations that had large transformers were required to install acoustic sound barriers to reduce a constant audible hum they produced to get noise levels down to an acceptable level in nearby neighborhoods. If you and your neighbors could establish that the noise disturbs the quality of life (sleep for example) in the vicinity of the noise source, possibly the owner of the 'machine' may have to take measures to reduce the noise in some way. Whether you and neighbors could succeed in this effort may depend much on where you live and local laws and regulations.

Guidelines for Drafting Municipal Noise Control Ordinances - FindLaw

I use to have that. The street right outside my house was a 4 lane busy city street.. I had an issue here at my new place. Periodic noise, even though I turn the HVAC off, and the computer is in a soundproof ISO box. I had forgotten about my refrigerator. It was two rooms over but, when it kicked on, my mic would pic it up ever so slightly. I have to adjust the temp settings while tracking to keep it from coming on.

I used your raw file and examined ONLY the noise. It appears that the rumble is somewhere close to 130Hz. Using Audacity's equalizer, I removed 130Hz and below and it helped, but there is still quite a bit of white noise from the room.

View attachment Noise Profile.mp3. .View attachment Noise Profile with 130 Hz notch.mp3

If your voice seems too thin, you can boost around 200-300 Hz to add body.

Unless you can boost your vocal, either by being much closer, or by speaking louder, you may never get the noise level sufficiently low.

When you have an external amount of noise that is intruding there are some things to try.

1. If the microphone has a PAD switch, use it, and put the microphone closer to the source, i.e., your mouth, the guitar, whatever. This will change the signal-to-noise (S/N) ratio. It will impact the quality because of proximity effect, but you can use EQ to remove some of that.

2. Reduce the gain on your interface - this will do something similar to the PAD switch, forcing you to move the microphone closer to the source.

At this point, I'll add that one reason mics like the EV RE-20 are popular for voiceover/radio is because they take care of some of these issues by being low sensitivity and having a design that also mitigates somewhat the proximity effect of being close to the microphone.

So, now you've got a better S/N but lower gain - make sure you are recording at 24-bit depth, and you can have peaks that are still quite below what you might be thinking should be "normal" yet when you increase the gain on the track in post, you'll have less noise in the result.

Also, experiment with microphone position. It's quite likely that the noise isn't coming in from everywhere, and so you have to find the wall that is most naturally insulated from environmental noise - maybe it's a closet, or the kitchen is on the other side, or a room where they sleep quietly, whatever. Then, make sure the microphone is facing that wall, put a heavy blanket or any kind of padding/treatment behind you. The idea being that all of the environmental noise in the room is bouncing around, but the cardioid pattern of the mic picks up just what is most directly in front of it, so after you have the source close to the mic, you further reduce any noise coming from the same direction by "soaking it up" before it can reflect off the wall facing the microphone.

I have to believe you can get a better signal recorded before you have to apply noise reduction.

Cat,
*just thinking aloud and troubleshooting any overlooked obvious-

You said: "...All this noise comes from outside and my floor vibrates...."

Do you have the mic in a shock mount? Is the mic stand on the vibrating floor? OR are you using an articulated boom arm with springs? I have velcro'd the springs on mine because they were resonating with my deep voice. Is the mic cable on the vibrating floor and dangling from the mic and mic connector? (I Velcro strap my mic cables to the boom and try to keep them off of the floor or any object that may transmit vibrations via the cable.
Dale

I assume you live in an appartment or condo situation where neighbors are very close. The hum sounds to me like a neighbor's air conditioner sound from the outside or maybe a large window fan. The vibrations are probably because this sound is either directly above or below you making the continuous studs that you share with your neighbor vibrate.

If this is an apartment or condo, you might be able to complain with this neighbor to see if he could include something to lessen the vibration. I doubt the noise can be lessened, unless it would be replaced with a more sound proof unit. But, keep in mind that if this is your neighbor, stay pleasant with them as unless there is an ordinance in your area that requires him to deal with this, he will be dealing with hit out of the kindness of his heart to make you happy.

Personally, I lilke #1 over the other two, and unless you go into a lot of work to remove the hum from your audio, it sounds pretty good to me in that first clip. So, confronting the neighbor would be your call.

If the noise is from outside of your home/apartment and out of your control then there's no fix, as such. Just damage limitation.

The best you can do is
1: Get as close to the mic as possible
2: Speak as loudly and clearly as possible
3: Get the gain as low as possible (1+2 facilitate this)
and
4: If necessary use noise reduction or a noise gate to help with whatever noise remains.

Your original post Clip One sounded perfectly acceptable to me so, to be honest, I'd run with whatever you were doing there.

Put it this way; If I looked up a tutorial on something and that (Clip One) was the voice over I heard, I wouldn't be distracted or annoyed in any way.

As a side note, you have my sympathy. I doubt I could sleep with that noise. :(

Thank you, heartfelt thanks, I know I was expecting too much.

I sincerely appreciate all your efforts, you all are here so generous, kind and caring folks :)

I used your raw file and examined ONLY the noise. It appears that the rumble is somewhere close to 130Hz. Using Audacity's equalizer, I removed 130Hz and below and it helped,

Is there a way you can share (via screencast etc... ) how did you remove rumble which was close to 130Hz ?

If not possible then please let me know which of these tutorials on YT are close to the technique you used to remove rumble, I already searched:
YouTube

but it seems like unless we know the reliable source on YT any tom dick and harry shares their own version of removing rumble :) ?

>but there is still quite a bit of white noise from the room.
as far as I know white noise could be come from fan or AC, vent running at distance. Is it possible to remove white noise in any way? (I want to save your time so if there is a long explanation then please don't write, as I already owe too much to you guys for helping me :) )

>Unless you can boost your vocal, either by being much closer, or by speaking louder, you may never get the noise level sufficiently low.
I Will Do this for sure

>If your voice seems too thin, you can boost around 200-300 Hz to add body.
You guys are GENIUS, you come to know :) everything just by listening to the audio. Yes, My voice is thin that's why i bought this mic: MXL 770 it's a lot better than other mics I used to have. Could please tell me how to do this? Is it by going to Audacity -> Effects -> Equalization -> dragging the graph line to 300Hz

Thank you :) looking forward to your reply.

Back