Please help - To Choose Clean Audio (Loud Humming noise Comes from outside)

You're on the right track. Pull up Effects > Equalization and you should be able to flip your EQ to Graphic and adjust the sliders. Move the filter width to the right to narrow the notch. I used this profile to both lower the hum, and to boost the bass in your voice. Once the bass noise is removed, you might have better luck using the noise removal function.

Still, the best way to increase your S/N ratio is to increase the signal as much as possible. Put a pop filter in front of the mic, get right up in front of it and try a recording that way. That will give you the the maximum amount of voice, and then you can lower the input level if you are overdriving the input to drop the noise level. You'll have the added bonus of using the proximity effect to add bass to your voice. I've seen DJs use that in radio stations to make their voice sound big and fat.

Remember, the 10dB pad will not help if your background noise level is the problem. It will only lower EVERYTHING by a relative amount. When you go back and boost your voice to a usable level, it will bring the background noise right back up. Only use that if you are so close to the mic that you start to overload your input.

Don't get discouraged. A couple of years ago, I was recording a Jazz guitarist. Attached is a sample of audio from that night. The first part was from the video camera's mic, which was about 15 ft away. The second part was what I got by micing up the guitarist properly. I'm sure you don't have anywhere near that background level.

Audacity EQ -130Hz.jpg

Good Luck

Attachments

• Overcoming noise with technique.mp3
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
When you have an external amount of noise that is intruding there are some things to try.

1. If the microphone has a PAD switch, use it, and put the microphone closer to the source, i.e., your mouth, the guitar, whatever. This will change the signal-to-noise (S/N) ratio. It will impact the quality because of proximity effect, but you can use EQ to remove some of that.

Firstly thank you :)

>put a heavy blanket or any kind of padding/treatment behind you.
Awesome, I used blanket to cover around mic but scissor arm couldn't bear blankets weight Oh

>I have to believe you can get a better signal recorded before you have to apply noise reduction.
Agreed with you :) this is what now I'm after.

I also tried to follow your other suggestions.

I tried this (I've MXL 770) but it actually ruins audio quality so without that it sounds better. I applied your other suggestion which gave me better result:

>2. Reduce the gain on your interface - this will do something similar to the PAD switch, forcing you to move the microphone closer to the source.

These are the measures I have taken:

* I reduced the gain a lot, earlier it was 90% then it was 75%. And now it is approx. 63%
* I used the pop filter
* Kept mic very close to the mouth
* Spoke loudly
* Recorded at night 3am
* 48hz sets in Audacity (as focusrite solo 2nd supports 48Hz)

First test recording:
Dropbox - Final-Recording.mp3 - Simplify your life

Second Test Recording:
Dropbox - Final-recording-2.mp3 - Simplify your life
Note: here I was speaking Very loudly (with same distance)

Please let me know which one sound better?

Do you think I still need to do Noise Removal on these?

Do I need to increase the gain/volume in post via Audacity because it still doesn't sound like professional recording :) ?

Cat,
*just thinking aloud and troubleshooting any overlooked obvious-

You said: "...All this noise comes from outside and my floor vibrates...."

Do you have the mic in a shock mount? Is the mic stand on the vibrating floor? OR are you using an articulated boom arm with springs? I have velcro'd the springs on mine because they were resonating with my deep voice. Is the mic cable on the vibrating floor and dangling from the mic and mic connector? (I Velcro strap my mic cables to the boom and try to keep them off of the floor or any object that may transmit vibrations via the cable.
Dale

>*just thinking aloud and troubleshooting any overlooked obvious-

I taken a few days time to just what you said, thank you :) and came up with a few improvements.

1. No, Mic is connected to scissor arm and scissor arm is connected to my desk, desk has plastic pads at the bottom.

2. The xlr cable is wrapped up on my desk, near by mic. Its not on floor.

I did some changes and these are the measures I have taken:

* I reduced the gain a lot, earlier it was 90% then it was 75%. And now it is approx. 63%
* I used the pop filter
* Kept mic very close to the mouth
* Spoke loudly
* Recorded at night 3am
* 48hz sets in Audacity (as focusrite solo 2nd supports 48Hz)

First test recording:

Second Test Recording:

Note: here I was speaking Very loudly (with same distance)

In your opinion, Please let me know which one sound better?

Do you think I still need to do Noise Removal on these?

Do I need to increase the gain/volume in post via Audacity because it still doesn't sound like professional recording :) ?

So you just unboxed your new entertainment gear, hooked everything up, and you hear a buzz, whine, hiss, chatter, or any number of other annoying noises that have been known to plague audio equipment. You might even see some banding or waves on your TV. So you take it all back to the store, only to watch the salesperson plug it in and have everything work perfectly. What the…?

I’d love to tell you that you did nothing wrong, but you may have, at least inadvertently. Then again, it could be bad wiring, defective equipment, or just a noisy electronic environment. Whatever the type of noise you’re hearing—and whatever the cause—here’s how to get rid of it.

How to get rid of hum, buzz, and other noises from your audio system | TechHive

Back