playback in headphones while recording

wait2beseated

i was wondering how you could play a track into all of the musicians headphones while recording them singing/playing/whatever. are there special programs that can do this so when you recordit matches up perfectly with the audio they are hearing? Id really like to know how this is done thanks.

Yo Sit-down man:

Most recorders have ONE can stereo plug. In order to let more folks hear and record, you would need a can amp which plugs into your recorder and gives you four or more jacks to plug in more cans.

I have a 4 out Peavey can amp -- very good price when I bought it and it works fine.

There are several out there; you can research and check them out.

Green Hornet

You plug a stereo out into it, and then you plug 4 pairs of headphones in and each one has its own volume control. Therefore making 4 headphones possible instead of just one pair.
If you use a mixer with a headphone output, then run a stereo submix or something from the board and you then have 5 possible headphone outlets.
I have two for sale as I am getting a bigger more expensive unit, if you want one, jump quick as I am hawking them monday most likely.
I have a Rolls Ha-43 --> Click here to see it <--
It says $62.95 on it plus shipping, I'll sell it for $50 and I pay shipping. Includes power supply.
I also have an ART HEADAMP
It streets for $49.99 plus shipping, I'll sell it for $$40 and I pay shipping. Brand new, like 12 hours of use.See it here, Yo....

My email address is KyDemoKing@hotmail.com

wait2beseated said:
i was wondering how you could play a track into all of the musicians headphones while recording them singing/playing/whatever. are there special programs that can do this so when you recordit matches up perfectly with the audio they are hearing? Id really like to know how this is done thanks.

Why not using monitor speaker instead of headphones.....even your neighbors can hear it :)

Re: Re: playback in headphones while recording

jerberson12 said:
Why not using monitor speaker instead of headphones.....even your neighbors can hear it :)

Huh?
You cant track with monitors going... not in my experience anyway. Too much bleed.

Re: Re: Re: playback in headphones while recording

tubedude said:
Huh?
You cant track with monitors going... not in my experience anyway. Too much bleed.

but i do ????????????????????????
or maybe ive just misunderstand what his saying, ooopsss sorry :)

How do you keep the guitar amps out of the drum mics?
How do you keep the monitors out of the vocal mics? I know my U195 picks up people sneezing 4 miles away, its not going to take well to doing vocals with monitors in the same room.
HEadphones are invaulable to me.

wait2beseated---

1. Headphones are commonly referred to as "Cans" ... a can-amp would be the amplifier that runs your headphones.

2. Any good multitracking software will let you play your existing tracks while recording a new one. I just turn down (off) the volume on the monitors and listen through the headphones while recording the new track.

Hey tubedude.... is that the Soudelux U195? How do you like it and for what purpose . I was very interested in this mic but know of no one that sells it locally. How is it on vocs?

thanks

thanks for the help it cleared some things up for me. ive been interested in recording for a while and i was also kind of wondering how to get started. i have a behringer 8 track mixer, drum mics and cords and stands, and a decent computer. what next? any suggestions? keep in mind im not planning on spending my life savings i just want to build up peice by peice.

i wouldn't worry about using your computer just yet. I used to use a Darwin 8-track hard disk recorder. It should work just fine with your mixer, allowing you 8 simutaneous tracks. You can probably find one used for around $300, or you could go the ADAT route but then you have to buy tape and all that stuff. To keep it simple, get a recording medium and don't worry about the computer. OR.......... get a decent soundcard. Record a song with a multitrack recoding software (i used to use Internet Audio Mix, it's a free download and I have a code for it if you need it!). Just record the drums the first time around. Then layer i with the rest of the band. It allows you to add as many tracks as you want.

Back