The Perfect Mic for the Perfect Guitar Tone

themaddog

Rockin' & Rollin'
Hello,
Awhile ago I ran a contest/test in the analog forum in which I compared the same guitar playing across two different tape machines and a RADAR. If you're interested, you can check it out here:

https://homerecording.com/bbs/gener...nly/how-good-your-ears-analog-contest-303013/

This time around I thought I'd test a bunch of different mics to search for the perfect tone. I used an Epiphone SG with EMG pickups through a Mesa Boogie Nomad 55 watt 1x12 across each of the different channels, with around a minute's playing time for each setting. I set up seven microphones, as best I could in a circle, all off-axis. I recorded on all seven mics simultaneously into a RADAR V with classic converters at 24-bit, 44.8 khz. The mixer I used was a Soundcraft Ghost 32.

I chose amongst the best seven mics that I have, even if some of them were not meant to record electric guitar. The mics I used, by brand are:

Shure
SM 57
Beta SM 57a
SM58

MXL
BD3S
9090 Dual Capsule (warm setting)
9090 Dual Capsule (bright setting)

Studio Projects
C1

I disengaged all of the low-pass filters and pads to the applicable mics, did not run any EQ on my board, and tried to keep the levels as consistent as possible. All of the mics were connected via an 8 channel XLR snakes from Pulsar Tech, so as closely as possible each had the same quality microphone cable.

Here are the tracks:
Mic 1 - T01-00h00m00s00f00.WAV
Mic 2 - T02-00h00m00s00f00.WAV
Mic 3 - T02-00h00m00s00f00.WAV
Mic 4 - T04-00h00m00s00f00.WAV
Mic 5 - T05-00h00m00s00f00.WAV
Mic 6 - T06-00h00m00s00f00.WAV
Mic 7 - T07-00h00m00s00f00.WAV

To keep this fun, I'm not posting which mic I used for which number... yet. If you're curious, I've cleaned out my PM box and I will happily confirm any correct guesses for you. If nobody feels like playing, I'll probably just end up posting which mic goes with which number in a week or so. I will say this... I was surprised by some of the results!

All the best, and have fun,
-MD

P.S. It's free hosting for the files, so I wouldn't be surprised if it'll go down now and then (it did last time during my analog contest). All I can suggest is not to be dismayed, and to try again later if you're experiencing any difficulties.

I certainly considered that, but then it wouldn't be exactly the same performance because I'm not that consistent a guitar player, nor did I want to go through a system of re-amping.

".. in a circle, all off-axis"
I'm not understanding as well, you did go to some amount of trouble here.. If the mic placement is in various spots in the room, not particularly optimum to some tone goal from the amp.. nor the same to each.. I don't see where there would be any target to compare to.

The mics were all about the same distance, approximately 2-3" along the edge of the speaker, like a circle. They were all pointed towards the cone.

This thread seems pretty dead, so here are the mics:

1- Studio Projects C1
2- MXL BD3S
3- MXL 9090 Dual Capsule (Warm)
4- MXL 9090 Dual Capsule (Bright)
5- Shure SM57
6- Shure SM57a Beta
7- Shure SM58

-MD

Now all you need to do is add a Cascade Fat Head to that bunch...and it'd be pretty clear which gives the best recorded guitar tone. :)

Back