Percussion question

Ridgewoodwoody

I have just started out home recording my own songs. I use an Audiobox USB to which I’ve connected a keyboard, electric and bass guitars. I now want to add some percussion tracks but am uncertain whether to get a drum machine or drum pads for this. Any advice would be gratefully received.

There are many ways of doing this, including the two uses of hardware you've mentioned.

You can also find drums as virtual instruments that avoid the need for hardware. Load a virtual drum kit onto a track, add a midi sequence and off you go. Or create you r own drum patterns.

As [MENTION=45599]gecko zzed[/MENTION] says, there are VSTs that let you do that. You might even have some loops in your existing DAW that you can drop in.

EZDrummer and Superior Drummer are a couple (from ToonTrack) that I'm familiar with. I used EZDrummer until the latest version of Logic's drummer satisfied my [limited] needs.

For me, it helps if I use the marker tracks in my DAW to lay out the song arrangement, and then findi loops to fit the sections (or let Logic Drummer make up some parts), and tweak from there.

P.S. You do have to set the tempo of your project first, and either record to a click or do the percussion first and follow up with the rest. If you do other tracks to a click first, it's good to have a VST that can be set to follow a track, vs. the click.

Back